What's new

Touch controls on secondary monitor w/SP3 and W10

Peter Shaida

I'm trying to figure out how to get the touch on my non-primary second external touch monitor to control ITSELF and not the primary monitor? (I have done a pretty extensive search across both the SP3 and W10 forums and have gotten close but not found this issue discussed.)

I've got my SP3 i5 running w10 in a dock w docks's minidsplay connected to the hdmi on monitor 2 and usb from dock to monitor 2. SP3's minidsplay connected to hdmi on monitor 3 and usb from dock to monitor 3. I have them visually sequenced 2,1,3 and 3 is my 'primary' monitor.

Displays work. Touch works on each. But right now the touch on m2 actually controls m3 and not itself. I get that this is how one might want to configure a touch monitor in some cases so it's not a bug but...I'd like to get the touch on m2 to control itself? Any ideas?

(the monitors are acer t232hl)

Liam2349

I'm trying to figure out how to get the touch on my non-primary second external touch monitor to control ITSELF and not the primary monitor? (I have done a pretty extensive search across both the SP3 and W10 forums and have gotten close but not found this issue discussed.)

I've got my SP3 i5 running w10 in a dock w docks's minidsplay connected to the hdmi on monitor 2 and usb from dock to monitor 2. SP3's minidsplay connected to hdmi on monitor 3 and usb from dock to monitor 3. I have them visually sequenced 2,1,3 and 3 is my 'primary' monitor.

Displays work. Touch works on each. But right now the touch on m2 actually controls m3 and not itself. I get that this is how one might want to configure a touch monitor in some cases so it's not a bug but...I'd like to get the touch on m2 to control itself? Any ideas?

(the monitors are acer t232hl)

Have you tried this on 8.1?

zhenya

I'm not certain that I understand your issue entirely, but I will say, that on 8.1, I am having an issue where Windows mis-identifies my monitor order. I can place the monitors in the physical order I want, and everything works, except when I ask it to identify which monitor is which; at that point it's numbers are always wrong.

OP
P

Peter Shaida

Interesting. That part works fine for me! I think my issue is something like: each of the two monitors is really functioning as two devices-- a display and a touch input. In Windows most touch inputs are designed to provide input related to the screen (aka primary screen). This makes sense if the input device is a mouse or touchpad or wacom tablet. So the input device for my second (or third if you count the screen of the SP3 itself) is 'assumed' by Windows to be used to control the 'primary' screen (which is set to the OTHER external monitor)--so if I touch the screen on the left (non-primary) it acts like I've touched the screen on the right (the 'primary' screen). Kind of trippy! and again, it makes sense but somewhere there must be a setting where one can over-ride the assumption that the touch is supposed to control the primary screen and tell it to control it's own screen?

B

BChat

@zhenya - did you ever try: right click on desk top/screen resolution/ swap monitor positions by clicking on one and dragging over it to the other side?