What's new

Touch Cover keystroke sounds muted?

mitchellvii

Yesterday my Touch Cover keystroke sounds muted themselves and won't come back on. I made sure they are turned on in settings and that nothing weird is happening in Sound settings. I did turn on the Loudness Equalization and Surround Sound in my Sound Settings yesterday and thought that may have been it, but I turned them all back off and rebooted and still no sound on keyboard. All other sounds work properly.

Any ideas?

P.S., Note to MS if you are listening. Would it be possible to add an option to set keystroke sounds separately from system sounds? If I am listening to music and still want keyboard sounds I don't want the keystroke sounds as loud as the music. Duh, I mean hell, do you actually focus group ANYTHING before you push it out the door? Also how about adding an option for touch sounds when we click a link? This is Android 101 stuff guys. Every time a user does something in Windows 8 where they expect a certain behavior and it doesn't happen it's just another nail in Windows 8 coffin. Do some usability studies people. Geesh.

Overall Surface Pro is an excellent device but it's the little design fails like these that drive me crazy, probably because MS obviously thinks they are a good idea. Has anyone else noticed how MS is taking control from the user? We can't set event sounds separately, we can't opt out of Modern UI, we can't boot to Desktop, we can't adjust the kickstand, we can't use anything but a hard plastic nib on the pen... we can't, we can't, we can't. Try designing some "we can" into Windows 8 and maybe it will sell.

Last edited:

machistmo

I have the type cover and don't want to hear sounds. Apple had this problem with adjusting volume and it setting everything to level. It was just recently fixed. I agree though, some of this stuff is mind boggling when you think about it.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I have the type cover and don't want to hear sounds. Apple had this problem with adjusting volume and it setting everything to level. It was just recently fixed. I agree though, some of this stuff is mind boggling when you think about it.

There are times when I don't want to hear sounds either but i want to make that choice myself. With the type cover you don't need keystroke sounds. That thing sounds like a machine gun if you are a fast typist. I can't imagine sitting in a meeting or class or library typing on it without getting some dirty looks. :)

In Android they just have a setting under keyboards to adjust the volume of just the keyboard. We need that.

heed

I had the same problem. I unattached the touch cover and reattached it (while the computer was on at the Modern UI) and now they're back.

Also, there is a toggle in the "Change PC Settings"->General section.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I had the same problem. I unattached the touch cover and reattached it (while the computer was on at the Modern UI) and now they're back.

Also, there is a toggle in the "Change PC Settings"->General section.

Tried that, no joy. May be one of the 20 updates MS is putting out every day that messed me up :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

perhaps the foam packing material you put on the back of it is wreaking havoc. :wink:

The .foam virus you mean? No, I don't think so :)

I went into Sound Settings and reset everything to default and keyboard sounds came back. Who knows?

riggi

There are times when I don't want to hear sounds either but i want to make that choice myself. With the type cover you don't need keystroke sounds. That thing sounds like a machine gun if you are a fast typist. I can't imagine sitting in a meeting or class or library typing on it without getting some dirty looks. :)

In Android they just have a setting under keyboards to adjust the volume of just the keyboard. We need that.
If I have the onscreen keyboard sounds enabled in the pc settings, when I attach the type cover, there are no sounds when I type on the type cover.
But, I do agree that the level of the onscreen keyboard sounds should be able to be set separately. I like having the audio feedback when using the onscreen keyboard, but it should be a lot softer than it is. I've tried searching for the sound file used for the onscreen keyboard so I could edit it to reduce the volume, but can't find anywhere on the C: drive.

slvrdrgn123

This happened with my first SP. It went away and wouldn't come back no matter what until I did a reset. Of course the problem came back again so I exchanged for a new SP and it's been working fine ever since. Try to get a new unit if you're still able to.