What's new

Touch cover or Type cover

oneniner

Anyone have the type cover? Any preference or advantage one over the other? I'm leaning towards type cover just for the feel of they'd.

Thanks in advance.

willmech

I used the touch cover for the first few months I had the Surface, but since switching to the type cover I can't imagine going back. My typing speed and accuracy have improved greatly from the touch cover. It is a little thicker (of course), but not as much as you would think for a keyboard with real keys.

Omni

I had a touch cover for awhile and it is fine for small amounts of typing but the type cover is much better!

mitchellvii

I prefer the touch cover. One BIG caveat to the type cover is that it is NOISY to type on. If you turn the keypress sound off the touch cover is completely silent. I can't imagine using the type cover in a meeting, classroom or library without everyone giving me dirty looks for all the noise I am making.

I also noticed the type cover missing keystrokes unless I really hammered the key. With the touch cover you barely touch it and it never misses a stroke.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I love the touch cover and really don't like the type cover. But honestly I use the split On Screen Keyboard just as much....

CrippsCorner

I used the Touch Cover instore in John Lewis and I hated it... didn't seem to work very well, which is a shame as it looks great. So when it came to buying my Surface I opted for the Type Cover and am very happy with it! I don't notice it being loud at all.

dlacaba

I use a Type cover mainly and borrowed my boss' touch cover for a few weeks.

You can't go wrong with either really. Type Cover is faster typing, but the touch cover is just more comfortable to use, especially when not using the keyboard. If they weren't so expensive I'd probably get one of each and use them on different occasions.

pallentx

I've been very happy with the touch cover. I still have trouble hitting the space bar on it from time to time, but I opted for portability - its no thicker than a iPad cover, yet still very functional as a keyboard.

kristalsoldier

I have the Type cover, which I think is very functional etc. and I use it all the time. But recently, I have been thinking of getting the Touch cover. Why? Because recently I have found myself using the Surface (RT) as a tablet more frequently than before and I don't like mashing the keys of the Type cover when I fold it back, which will not be a problem if I use the Touch cover. Of course, I would carry the Type cover with me all the time though. I just wish there was some way to keep the covers - both of them - attached to the tablet (like with magnets etc.) when not in use - would be helpful while carrying around, I think. Maybe, I'll just get a big rubber band or something!

...I don't like mashing the keys of the Type cover when I fold it back, which will not be a problem if I use the Touch cover. Of course, I would carry the Type cover with me all the time though. I just wish there was some way to keep the covers - both of them - attached to the tablet (like with magnets etc.) when not in use - would be helpful while carrying around, I think. Maybe, I'll just get a big rubber band or something!

If you don't like mashing the keys on the type cover when you fold it back, remove the keyboard and put it on backwards, so that when folded back the keys are against the back of the tablet. Works great for me, I do it a lot.

Mine came with the touch cover, I couldn't get used to it, so I bought a type cover and I'm so much happier with it. I need the feel of the keys. There is a little click when you type on it, but I use it in meetings and conferences and it's just fine.

kristalsoldier

Thanks. I'll try that out and see how it works. Though, I may just get the Touch cover to try it out.

Edit: I wish MS has developed a cover for the Surface which is not a keyboard. They could have included that with the Surface and customers could have bought either of the keyboards at their individual discretion.

Last edited: