What's new

Touch cover or Type cover

MHC48

I tried for months to get used to the touch cover and eventually did, but it's still no comparison to the ease and accuracy of the type cover.

Afy

I have both, and use them both. For some reason I prefer the touch with the RT, and Type on the Pro. Havent figured out why though.

Omni

I also noticed the type cover missing keystrokes unless I really hammered the key. With the touch cover you barely touch it and it never misses a stroke.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

I had that issue but I found cleaning the contacts on both keyboard and surface fixes it. Only happened once or twice though.

DOS

Go over to Best Buy and try them both out, that's how I ended up with the Type Cover. The touch cover was... well, touchy.

zokstar

Whilst i was waiting for the SP, everytime I walked into a store, I would go to the RT with touch cover, up notepad and just type a few sentences... After a few times I decided type was for me!

OP
oneniner

oneniner

Ordered the Surface RT and type cover from the MS store. Should be here next week. Thanks to for the input.

mmoss2

I started with the type cover and switched to the touch cover. I'm a professional and need to use the Surface for notes and email while I'm in meetings. This is the whole reason that I got it. I agree that you can type much faster and more accurately on the type cover, but also have to stress that the clickty clack of the keys is loud enough to be easily heard by others and is distracting. I only tried using the type cover at one meeting and it was clearly distracting the other people there. The touch cover is 100% silent so long as your tablet is muted. Stealth typing at it's best! I may never be perfect typing on it but it really isn't that bad at all - I'm actually really fast on it and I can certainly pound out several paragraphs or even several pages without much trouble.

So this seems like a usage scenario question - will you use it around other people? If so, go for the touch cover to avoid distracting them. If not, go for the type cover for speed and accuracy.

PS - both look great, but the touch cover is really sleek and sexy. It also feels more comfortable when folded back (IE, when you are using it as a tablet).

pallentx

My parents just bought a Surface with the type cover. I was really impressed that it doesn't really add any noticeable weight over a touch cover. It is thicker though and a bit more awkward when you flip it around.

W24TSN

I've used both the Touch and the Type covers a much prefer the Touch.
Its alot easier to use and silent. The Type keyboard is noisy and I struggled to press the keys down when typing at speed.
Its too thick too, the Surface is thick enough without adding to it.

Angel

Why does the type cover only come in black? I tried the touch cover at best buy and I had to pound on the 'keys' to get letters to appear I would waste so much time doing this but the colors are so pretty.