What's new

Touch Cover vs Type Cover

reptilian

Hey, for anyone on the touch cover vs type cover debate, I tested and found the touchpad to be better (for my use) on the touch cover. I wanted the type cover to be the one but found an issue with the right click. See my thread "Touchpad better on touch cover" if you're interested.

Corrosive

Hey, for anyone on the touch cover vs type cover debate, I tested and found the touchpad to be better (for my use) on the touch cover. I wanted the type cover to be the one but found an issue with the right click. See my thread "Touchpad better on touch cover" if you're interested.

I will second this... The trackpad on the touch is much better. My type cover came in and wow, its not as bad as some reviewers were saying. I can type just as fast as with a traditional keyboard. As for school, I am using the type... when I know I'm just going to be playing around and doing more content consumption, I am using the touch cover. Its nice to have flexibility like that.

Nemesis296

I've scoured this thread for mention of wear on the Touch Cover and I can't really see anything about how long it takes (how much use) to 'wear it out'. Even after having my Surface Pro for 3 days I see spots on my Black Touch Cover on both the trackpad and the spacebar where I'm already wearing it down. Would a different color mask the wear and tear, or is it potentially even more visible? I'm trying to decide if I should spring for a Type Cover and use a combo of both for different tasks. I'm getting the impression that each has pros and cons. I don't really want to put some other cover on my Touch Cover, as that seems to defeat the purpose of how it was engineered.

bosamar

I've scoured this thread for mention of wear on the Touch Cover and I can't really see anything about how long it takes (how much use) to 'wear it out'. Even after having my Surface Pro for 3 days I see spots on my Black Touch Cover on both the trackpad and the spacebar where I'm already wearing it down. Would a different color mask the wear and tear, or is it potentially even more visible? I'm trying to decide if I should spring for a Type Cover and use a combo of both for different tasks. I'm getting the impression that each has pros and cons. I don't really want to put some other cover on my Touch Cover, as that seems to defeat the purpose of how it was engineered.

Those who own both are the ones who will know the most. I got the Type cover because I thought it was superior. I tested Touch covers at the Microsoft store this past weekend and I'm happy I got the Type cover. I'm not saying the Touch is bad, it's just not for me. IMO the Type cover will last longer and show less wear in the long run.

Kiwibru

Perhaps Moshi or a similar company will come out with a membrane cover for the Type cover. That way you would be wearing out the membrane and still protecting the keyboard keys and underlying switches from detritus. I have had great luck with those types of covers over the years. This would also allow some protection to the screen from the slight rubbing that will no doubt occur under carry conditions due to flex. Pure conjecture on my part though as my S.P. is still in route.

Nemesis296

Those who own both are the ones who will know the most. I got the Type cover because I thought it was superior. I tested Touch covers at the Microsoft store this past weekend and I'm happy I got the Type cover. I'm not saying the Touch is bad, it's just not for me. IMO the Type cover will last longer and show less wear in the long run.

Agreed. The trade-off as I see it was this:

Touch Cover
Pros - thinner, more portable because it makes the tablet "smaller". No moving parts and it's easy to clean
Cons - keys wear out faster, not as easy to type with as the Type Cover (learning curve)

Type Cover
Pros - actual keys to type for instant feedback and feel, fast typing
Cons - Keys could break off or collect dust and require extra cleaning. Makes tablet bulkier by a bit.

The trade-offs seem small, but the wear I'm already seeing on my Touch Cover has me considering having both.

J515OP

Super Moderator
It depends on what you mean by "wear out". I don't think showing signs of use = worn out necessarily. Considering the keyboards have only been out 3 months I find it strange that you find it strange nobody has discussed how long the keyboards take to wear out. Clearly it is longer than 3 months so we have not reached that point yet ;)

Wearing out keyboards isn't unheard of.
3669854193_3cf5f176de.jpg

Different people are going to have different values for what is acceptable. Some people instantly put a device in a case and if the case gets scratched they can't stand it. Others don't care what their devices looks like (beat and scratched up) just as long as it works. If you are in the first camp you may want to preserve your touch cover with a cover and accept that the secondary cover defeats original purpose but that preservation is your ultimate goal or use the touch cover sparingly. The onscreen keyboard is always available or you can use a type keyboard, bluetooth keyboard or usb keyboard other than when it is absolutely necessary to be on the go with only a touch keyboard cover. If you are less concerned with the looks of the touch keyboard and just use it then I would guess 1-2 years is totally within the serviceable life of the keyboard and it will still be working after that point.

Of course there may be special circumstances like rough, oily or acidic skin. Heavy frequent typing and exposure to dust, dirt and other contaminants. If you fall into any exceptional category then probably have to accept that your use case is going to wear out the keyboard quicker. Not every situation will be covered but if the keyboard lasts 2 years with the only wear being sheen developed from use and typing that will probably be long enough and strong enough.

Sometimes design changes can only be made after a being in the field for a sufficient amount of time. Early adopters will bear the brunt of any short comings. At this point I have no illusions that generation 2 or any other generation will even be compatible with what we have now so the useful life of the keyboard is probably going to be limited by other factors. There are many examples of this happening with all sorts of devices, so chances are things will change before the old ones wear out. If they don't it is highly likely that at least cheaper replacement options will be available by then :)

Nemesis296

It depends on what you mean by "wear out". I don't think showing signs of use = worn out necessarily. Considering the keyboards have only been out 3 months I find it strange that you find it strange nobody has discussed how long the keyboards take to wear out. Clearly it is longer than 3 months so we have not reached that point yet ;)

Wearing out keyboards isn't unheard of.
View attachment 293

Different people are going to have different values for what is acceptable. Some people instantly put a device in a case and if the case gets scratched they can't stand it. Others don't care what their devices looks like (beat and scratched up) just as long as it works. If you are in the first camp you may want to preserve your touch cover with a cover and accept that the secondary cover defeats original purpose but that preservation is your ultimate goal or use the touch cover sparingly. The onscreen keyboard is always available or you can use a type keyboard, bluetooth keyboard or usb keyboard other than when it is absolutely necessary to be on the go with only a touch keyboard cover. If you are less concerned with the looks of the touch keyboard and just use it then I would guess 1-2 years is totally within the serviceable life of the keyboard and it will still be working after that point.

Of course there may be special circumstances like rough, oily or acidic skin. Heavy frequent typing and exposure to dust, dirt and other contaminants. If you fall into any exceptional category then probably have to accept that your use case is going to wear out the keyboard quicker. Not every situation will be covered but if the keyboard lasts 2 years with the only wear being sheen developed from use and typing that will probably be long enough and strong enough.

Sometimes design changes can only be made after a being in the field for a sufficient amount of time. Early adopters will bear the brunt of any short comings. At this point I have no illusions that generation 2 or any other generation will even be compatible with what we have now so the useful life of the keyboard is probably going to be limited by other factors. There are many examples of this happening with all sorts of devices, so chances are things will change before the old ones wear out. If they don't it is highly likely that at least cheaper replacement options will be available by then :)

I hear what you're saying, I guess I was concerned that I'm already seeing marks on it after 3 days of use. I may be a rougher user than I thought and I'll just have to live with that...or buy Type Cover to use for extended typing. I definitely know that I won't want to use the Touch Cover for gaming due to a lack of tactile input.

Thanks for the insight though, it is appreciated :)