What's new

Touch screen stopped working after latest windows update

rainyman1984

Hi, I have a surface book which has been working with no problem for more than 1 year. Last week, I updated my windows, and after that the touch screen and pen stopped working.

I did all the steps on Microsoft website, from step 1 (restarting) to recovery (cleaning the device to factory reset) but no success. I called Microsoft and they said your device is out of warranty but we will try our best to find you the best solution!

This is weird that Microsoft left me with no solutions, and I found people with the same problem on different forums. This problem is obviously had nothing to do with hardwares! If anyone can help me with this, I really appreciate, I am a university student and I need my laptop for my everyday life and now I am wasting 2-3 hours a day on finding a solution on this matter, yet no success.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any device in the Device Manager showing an exclamation mark? Such as the Surface Touch Firmware or Driver? The ones with the red error are usual suspects...

upload_2018-1-28_8-55-52.png

OP
R

rainyman1984

Is there any device in the Device Manager showing an exclamation mark? Such as the Surface Touch Firmware or Driver? The ones with the red error are usual suspects...

View attachment 8848
Thanks for answering.
There is no device with exclamation mark, and also I tried uninstalling touch firmware and HID touch, and it didn't work.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I uninstalled all of them and restarted after (exactly the way microsoft recommended for updating the drivers)

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
You can also try rolling back the last update that was installed prior to the touch screen stopping...

OP
R

rainyman1984

The touch screen driver was not changed after updates, its 2006 version. As far as I know, the problem occures because of the new firmware updates of the device, which is not compatible with new version of windows, and you cannot roll back the device firmwares after update, even I restored my windows to its old build it didn't work :-(

Attachments

• for forum.PNG
    for forum.PNG
    130.4 KB · Views: 756

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The touch screen driver was not changed after updates, its 2006 version. As far as I know, the problem occures because of the new firmware updates of the device, which is not compatible with new version of windows, and you cannot roll back the device firmwares after update, even I restored my windows to its old build it didn't work :-(
We have around ten or eleven Surface Books and Surface Books deployed and haven't seen this in any of them.

OP
R

rainyman1984

We have around ten or eleven Surface Books and Surface Books deployed and haven't seen this in any of them.
I talked to Microsoft customer service today, we went through all the steps again, even they connected to my device (remote connection), then he offered downloading windows (it was very similar to windows installation but I forgot the exact name of the application, something like windows media), and it took us 2 hours to install windows. And the touch screen is still not responding.

OP
R

rainyman1984

Finally, they offered me paying 677 CAD to replace my device to a certified refurbished or to wait a couple of days for a new windows update!! Can't be happier ...

JaapB

Hi Rainyman, im stuck with the exact same problem, do you have any update on this, e.g. did you get it resolved?

OP
R

rainyman1984

Hi Rainyman, im stuck with the exact same problem, do you have any update on this, e.g. did you get it resolved?
Hi, still no solution! They asked me to pay 800 CAD to be given a refurbished SB which would be another mistake because these kind of errors can be caused to your new refurbished device too. With that money I would buy another laptop which last after some stupid updates.