What's new

Touch/Type Cover - Is having one essential?

deldalton

The SP2 is the first tablet I will have owned, and I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the Touch/Type covers.

If I buy one at all it will most likely be the Touch cover. But, do you think that owning one of these accessories is definitely essential to allow you to take advantage of your tablet? Or, do you think they don't make much of a difference to your productivity?

oion

The SP2 is the first tablet I will have owned, and I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the Touch/Type covers.

If I buy one at all it will most likely be the Touch cover. But, do you think that owning one of these accessories is definitely essential to allow you to take advantage of your tablet? Or, do you think they don't make much of a difference to your productivity?

You need to give more detail about your actual use case.

Example: I'm a writer. What's productive for me--I use Word a whole lot and maintain data in Excel spreadsheets with occasional graphs. Plenty of email. I also surf the internet all the time. Obviously, I require a keyboard, and specifically the Type version because I type so much that I really prefer a more traditional feel. I wouldn't use a Touch cover for lots of typing over the years, but YMMV.

If you're primarily an artist using the Pro pen, you can probably get by using only the on-screen keyboard for occasional use (and the handwriting recognition is supposed to be great).

kristalsoldier

You need to give more detail about your actual use case.

Example: I'm a writer. What's productive for me--I use Word a whole lot and maintain data in Excel spreadsheets with occasional graphs. Plenty of email. I also surf the internet all the time. Obviously, I require a keyboard, and specifically the Type version because I type so much that I really prefer a more traditional feel. I wouldn't use a Touch cover for lots of typing over the years, but YMMV.

If you're primarily an artist using the Pro pen, you can probably get by using only the on-screen keyboard for occasional use (and the handwriting recognition is supposed to be great).

I have a similar use scenario and for me the Type Cover is indeed essential. I did flirt with the idea of a Touch cover but gave up that idea very quickly. I cannot afford to play around where my writing is concerned.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Keep and mind with both the iPad and Android tablets, keyboard cover/cases are the number one purchase, so most people at some point are going to want a keyboard. The Type 2 is very thin and as a Touch 1 user I will probably switch to Type 2 for the increased functionality.

oion

Keep and mind with both the iPad and Android tablets, keyboard cover/cases are the number one purchase, so most people at some point are going to want a keyboard. The Type 2 is very thin and as a Touch 1 user I will probably switch to Type 2 for the increased functionality.

Huh, did not know that.

Normally I would advise people that they might have super special use cases where a physical keyboard isn't necessary most of the time (OP doesn't say), but the truth is that the Surface lines in particular aren't "complete" without a matching cover. Assuming backwards-compatibility, I suppose people can find the old version of either Touch/Type for a cheaper price somewhere, if cost is an issue.

Lolvo

The keyboards are essential to me; the Surface is not complete without it. Schoolwork, job, play, all of it involves the keyboards...heck, I wouldn't be typing this reply to you without a keyboard - it would be too tedious for me.

One of my Pledges just bought an RT last week (after some convincing by me was done), and I have been letting him use one of my keyboards since he got it. He's buying it off me today because without it, the usability of the Surface is cut nearly in half.

I definitely recommend purchasing a keyboard; I own both the touch and the type, and got both severely discounted by doing some smart-shopping online.

demandarin

my vote is to get a keyboard no matter what. you will likely use it in the long run. when I first got my pro, I momentarily thought of getting it without the type cover. I was like dang, this 128gb version already expensive. the keyboard purchase felt like it was gonna kill my pockets..lol but I remember the great reviews on it and how it doubles as a protective cover. then I asked them to see it. then I saw an open box one that was over $30 cheaper. I jumped on it immediately and its still under warranty. my pro 128gb, manufacturer refurb 64gb RT(that I got on ebay for only $249), and type keyboard are all registered and under warranty.

like someone else said, if price an issue, just get a 1st generation cover as those will be cheaper. you can find ones on ebay or open box ones at places like best buy. I have no regrets on that purchase.

OP
deldalton

deldalton

I apologise for the lack of use information in my opening post.

I will mostly be coding, with occasional drawing or other forms of digital art.

It is the price that's put me off slightly, but the idea of the tablet was to increase my productivity; not hamper it so if a keyboard is essential I'll get one. But, I've never had an issue touch typing on an iPad, so I'm not convinced it'll cause me any problems without it.

I'll most likely be using the Surface on my lap, perhaps with my knees raised so I expect that the keyboard may get in the way.

But, coding will have me regularly utilising special characters (brackets, periods etc). Is it easier to access special characters on a physical keyboard compared to the on-screen keyboard?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

It is the price that's put me off slightly, but the idea of the tablet was to increase my productivity; not hamper it so if a keyboard is essential I'll get one. But, I've never had an issue touch typing on an iPad, so I'm not convinced it'll cause me any problems without it.

I'll most likely be using the Surface on my lap, perhaps with my knees raised so I expect that the keyboard may get in the way.

But, coding will have me regularly utilising special characters (brackets, periods etc). Is it easier to access special characters on a physical keyboard compared to the on-screen keyboard?

Yes, if you are using Visual Studio 2013 I would want a physical keyboard. I would spend the $130 and get Type 2 or if you already have a portable Bluetooth keyboard you could use it but that will only work on a desk.

oion

So you code on an iPad using the onscreen keyboard? That's rather impressive. :p

Special characters--I'm not sure what you mean by that (how special is special?). This is what the Type 2 cover layout looks like: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Type-Cover-2-640x360.png

Any external keyboard would work fine, really, but if you're thinking about mobility, then a matching keyboard is the best since you don't need to worry about packing it separately. Again, if cost is an issue, finding a gen1 version somewhere is probably cheapest.

Szadzik

Been thinking about buying touch cover as well - more as protection than anything. I am getting a Surface 2 and am going to treat ass a tablet solely - not serious work. Mostly media consumption on the go, Internet, simple games. Decided against it as a case will be cheaper and provide more protection.

If yo uare doing some serious stuff on it, I would say get a keyboard. I would not get any of the currently available, though, I'd wait for the power keyboard to get some extra juice with it as well.

demandarin

with my moko rotary case, I use my pro with type keyboard attached all the time with no issues. its a great case. the only drawback is it adds bulk but the various angles in landscape or portrait more than makes up for it. very good protection. we have a member here about to release a great slim profile case that allows keyboard to still be attached and works well on the lap. I got my case from amazon or ebay. I got my type cover as an open box one at best buy for over $30 less than full price. works just fine and still under warranty.