What's new

Touch/Type Keyboard Compatiable rear "shell" for Surface Pro??

LinkRS

Howdy Everyone,

I just recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro, and am evaluating it as a replacement for my iPad 4. With my iPad 4, I have it in an Apple "Smart Case" which protects the iPad from scratches and scuffs. I am wondering if such a thing exists for the Surface Pro? I would like to get either a Touch or Type cover, and then get a shell that (works with the kickstand) that would protect the back from scratches as well. I am hyper-paranoid right now, so I always set it down screen first on a micro fiber cloth, to keep the back pristine. Does anybody know of a back shell-like case for the Surface Pro? I am hesitiant to use a "skin" or sticker as it would difficult for me to get one put on without bubbles or get it on straight, plus I would be worried abour residue from the adhesive, and the possibility of a peice fo dust or something getting trapped between it and the Surface, causing more scratches.

Convesely, is the VaporMg case resilliant enough where protection isn't necessary? Thanks!

Rich

J515OP

Super Moderator
Rich, for most people the case is durable though some have had scratches or flaking. There are many threads dedicated to covers, cases and durability. Some skins don't have the possibility of "bubbles" like the carbon fiber or brushed metal options as opposed to the clear types that might have bubbles.

Honestly you can't protect your Surface from everything and even with a snap on plastic case of some sort or any other protection you might get dust trapped between the case and the Surface. Additionally more dust and dirt can collect in the gap between such case and the device. Furthermore snapping the corners of a tight fitting case over the corners of the Surface could cause wear or damage to the corners of the Surface. Ok, hopefully you see where I am going with this ;)

I don't think there is any snap on style case at the moment and there probably won't be any that work with the kickstand due to design limitations. There are plenty of good options for stick on protection. Many of the stick on protectors do not leave residue and are completely removable. Check the threads for more details and feedback the on various options.

JP

OP
L

LinkRS

Thanks JP! I tend to be a little over-protective of my electronics. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know how a protective skin on the back of the Surface Pro impacts warranty? Thanks!

Rich

vpalhories

iPad smart cover equivalent for Surface Pro?

I just replaced my iPad with a Microsoft Surface Pro. With my iPad, I had a smart cover. What this did was turn on my iPad automatically when I opened the cover and turned off my iPad when I closed the cover.

I was looking for a equivalent for the Surface Pro but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know of such an accessory for the Pro? If so, can you send a link?

Thanks a million.

--- Val

machistmo

I just replaced my iPad with a Microsoft Surface Pro. With my iPad, I had a smart cover. What this did was turn on my iPad automatically when I opened the cover and turned off my iPad when I closed the cover.

I was looking for a equivalent for the Surface Pro but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know of such an accessory for the Pro? If so, can you send a link?

Thanks a million.

--- Val

Val,

If you have either the Touch of Type cover and set the power options to sleep when I close the lid, you are set. Mine goes to sleep the second I close the Type cover on it.

vpalhories

Val,

If you have either the Touch of Type cover and set the power options to sleep when I close the lid, you are set. Mine goes to sleep the second I close the Type cover on it.

Don't have a keyboard yet. My primary use is for taking notes during meetings or as I walk around plants with customers. I'm fine with the on screen keyboard but without being able to raise the pro a few degrees (like I can with my iPad) it's not ideal. Based on my research there is nothing good out there therefore I may have to cave in and purchase a keyboard.

Thanks again.

--- Val

J515OP

Super Moderator
Why can't you raise the Surface a few degrees for OSK typing? Just set a little something under there (your iPhone perhaps ;)) and there you go.

vpalhories

Why can't you raise the Surface a few degrees for OSK typing? Just set a little something under there (your iPhone perhaps ;)) and there you go.

IPhone!!! No, no, no ... it's Windows Phone (Nokia 920) for me. Honestly never thought about that. I'll try it the next meeting.

Thanks.

---Val