What's new

TouchDown email client from NitroDesk

RonNitro

Ok, so I've set it up with my live-account, updated to .84 and it synced everything - except my mails (but it fetches my folders). The ui is easy to use, but you definitely have to update the graphics. You don't have to use a metro-style theme, but something less 90ies.
Some buttons could be larger and a live tile with a calendar/mail-view would be ++

See?
I couldn't get two pages into the thread and someone's calling it 90's graphics. :)

Perhaps we should just make the coloured MSN icons our standard icon set.

Seriously though, there are some UI changes still to come, but it's not going to be very far from where it is now. Very minor tweaks. Colour is GOOD! Live tiles are on the list, sort of a "Today" style view, with unread emails and upcoming meetings.

Also, the initial sync can take a VERY long time, in my case, with about 300 emails a day, the default 3-day sync usually takes about 20-30 minutes, more if i'm trying to work in there while it's syncing. Subsequent syncs don't take very long at all.

Do let me know if email doesn't sync after awhile...we'll grab a log and figure out what's going on.

RonNitro

well....the press release hasn't gone out yet, but how about today?

It was approved over the weekend, and should be published sometime today.

We're working with the folks at the Windows Marketplace to get some coupon codes for our beta testers and other "good folks" like you guys, but they don't really have a mechanism to do this, so they'll have to build something out.

we might have to do it ourselves and figure out a way side-load the application.

EdricStorm

Hi Ron,

just downloaded Touchdown to test it. So far it's syncing. But there's some error in the subfolder ordering. I have some subfolders and they just seem to be sorted alphabetically with the others as if they were normal Folders and no subfolders. Is there any way to move the subfolders to the right mainfolder?
And don't forget to add a Live Tile with a calendar Display. I'm really missing a proper Live Tile which Shows me my next four or five appointments. If you add that you have me as a sure buyer :)

TeknoBlast

I've downloaded the Try version and I'm liking it all. I didn't see any ads on the trial version, so what are the extras on the BUY version?

I'm using this for my Hotmail account. It synced all my mail in the Inbox but haven't seen any messages in my sub folders. I also noticed that my subfolders are not arranged in ABC order. I think this was already brought up. So yeah, all my subfolders show, but no messages in the subfolders and not in ABC order. I also changed the setting to show all messages instead of three days.

Last edited:

mproudfoot

I had Touchdown on my Galaxy S3 before I got rid of it and I've tried Touchdown on my Surface but the same thing that disappointed me on the Android version prevents me from purchasing here.. I need a mail client that can access al of my mail accounts, not just Exchange mail. So still hoping for something more flexible to come along (can still wish for Outlook RT as unlikely as it is).

RonNitro

I've downloaded the Try version and I'm liking it all. I didn't see any ads on the trial version, so what are the extras on the BUY version?

I'm using this for my Hotmail account. It synced all my mail in the Inbox but haven't seen any messages in my sub folders. I also noticed that my subfolders are not arranged in ABC order. I think this was already brought up. So yeah, all my subfolders show, but no messages in the subfolders and not in ABC order. I also changed the setting to show all messages instead of three days.

The "Buy" version is not time-limited. The "Try" option is a fully functional application, the only thing different is the signature file is locked until it's purchased. We decided long ago that we hated the feature limited "free" versions and with something like this, you've got to be able to evaluate it fully.

We're working on a rev to address the folder view issues, though they should be displaying in the order in which they are in Outlook. Is that not happening or is it just not Alpha? if it's still not showing the mail in those folders, can you turn on logging, perform a sync and send us the log please? ([email protected])

RonNitro

Another issue I'm facing: Is it possible to add a second account? I didn't find this option yet.

Additional accounts are coming, but it's not going to be a multiple-accounts-at-the-same_time sort of feature. dumping multiple accounts in one big bucket (inbox) breaks all the security models we hold dear.

RonNitro

I had Touchdown on my Galaxy S3 before I got rid of it and I've tried Touchdown on my Surface but the same thing that disappointed me on the Android version prevents me from purchasing here.. I need a mail client that can access al of my mail accounts, not just Exchange mail. So still hoping for something more flexible to come along (can still wish for Outlook RT as unlikely as it is).

I know one of our competitors is working on an application that puts all your mail, from multiple account, in one bucket. Hotmail,gmail,Exchange, etc...it's just not something we are ever going to do.

TeknoBlast

The "Buy" version is not time-limited. The "Try" option is a fully functional application, the only thing different is the signature file is locked until it's purchased. We decided long ago that we hated the feature limited "free" versions and with something like this, you've got to be able to evaluate it fully.

We're working on a rev to address the folder view issues, though they should be displaying in the order in which they are in Outlook. Is that not happening or is it just not Alpha? if it's still not showing the mail in those folders, can you turn on logging, perform a sync and send us the log please? ([email protected])

Yeah, the client is not placing subfolders in ABC order. Also like to add that my subfolders are not immediately under the Inbox, it's outside the Inbox. So dont know if that makes a difference. So for example, what I see in outlook.com, I have the standard Inbox, Delete, Sent folders...then right after the standard folders, I have my own folders. Those folders I created are not in ABC order and within those folders, the client never loaded the messages. Here's the folder struction in my outlook.com account.

I'll have to add a picture of Touchdown when I get home tonight.

folders.JPG