What's new

Touchpad Issues

minhestrone

I love my new Surface Book except for the touchpad, which is a huge point of frustration for me.
  • Inconsistent scrolling across programs/apps
    • Smooth on Edge, semi-smooth on Office, jumpy on Visual Studio
  • Not always responsive with 2-finger gestures
    • Scrolling up/down sometimes moves the cursor instead of scrolling
  • Lack of gesture options
    • I'd like to use 3-finger gestures for back/forward
    • Much more customization needed
Really hoping for an improved touchpad experience

Aegeas

I've seen some of this. Is there a dedicated app for management of the touchpad we can download? There is nothing under the mouse section. The things I would like to see are the sort of things you would normally find in a dedicated app for management of the touchpad.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I love my new Surface Book except for the touchpad, which is a huge point of frustration for me.
  • Inconsistent scrolling across programs/apps
    • Smooth on Edge, semi-smooth on Office, jumpy on Visual Studio
  • Lack of gesture options
    • I'd like to use 3-finger gestures for back/forward
    • Much more customization needed

The jumpy behavior does n0t happen on my machine, @minhestrone . I wonder if your Surface Book is preoccupied with other tasks. Most of these items are lack of consistency in apps and programs, not the hardware and firmware.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I'm still touchpad challenged... I need to adjust the sensitivity as tying to move the pointer sometimes results in stray clicks and the scroll is bass ackwards; down is up and up is down. :( Most of the time I just disable trackpads and use that Lenovo Pointing stick :) I guess I wont be getting one of those here. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
For the up and down thing... think of the trackpad as the screen. Push screen up or down to read.

Or actually push screen up or down to read.

cpap

This is my only complaint with this machine so far. The two finger scrolling is delayed 50% of the time. When I apply two fingers and start the movement, it sometimes takes a second for it to react. Very frustrating.

netuser

This is my only complaint with this machine so far. The two finger scrolling is delayed 50% of the time. When I apply two fingers and start the movement, it sometimes takes a second for it to react. Very frustrating.

Some say the scrolling problem is a Chrome issue and scrolling works better in other browsers.

redstar92

No issues with touchpad on Edge or Firefox.

Had a couple of slowdowns here and there but attesting those to non-latest firmware. Otherwise its been working well.

johntm4

Well I'm still touchpad challenged... I need to adjust the sensitivity as tying to move the pointer sometimes results in stray clicks and the scroll is bass ackwards; down is up and up is down. :( Most of the time I just disable trackpads and use that Lenovo Pointing stick :) I guess I wont be getting one of those here. :)
Go to settings, mouse & touchpad, reverse scrolling button to change scrolling direction.

zhenya

If this is happening, go to Settings --> Devices --> Mouse and Touchpad and set the Touchpad Delay to No Delay (always on).