What's new

Solved Touchpad SO finicky

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent. Marking solved.

The Mozilla people are probably not using the proper program interfaces under Windows 10, perhaps because they are not yet available to third parties.

OP
E

ElectricHops

So I just checked my settings against yours. We have exact same build of OS and settings are identical except my cursor speed is maxed out. I shot a quick video that shows the delay in the mouse starting to move after putting finger down. I noticed that my Firefox actually works, while in the thread you guys said Firefox has the issue. I'm havint the issue with Chrome and not firefox.

My biggest gripe is the "delay" in starting to move (or scroll) that appears to be totally random. Its been happening since day 1 of switching from my macbook. Video that shows the delay in mouse moving after starting to move finger around on touchpad.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@ElectricHops

Do you experience this problem with other pinch-and-zoomable programs such as Edge Browser? Trying to eliminate a hardware or (Windows) software issue.

OP
E

ElectricHops

The delay in the touchpad is irrelevant of application. The two finger scrolling issue seems to be application dependent. Right now, my surfaceforums.net thread will not two finger scroll in Chrome, however, my second tab (Reddit) scrolls perfectly fine.

With that said, I'm not too worried about the scrolling issue, but the touchpad "delay" is the annoyance. It's hard to reproduce too. For example, I just lightly scrolled around and it worked instantaneously. Then I just tried it again and it had a delay to start moving around.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if the first finger you place down starts the computer thinking it will be a cursor move, then it must switch to a pinch.
I have no touchpad delay (Surface Book i7/16/512). Could your machine be overly-occupied with some process / connectivity issue?

OP
E

ElectricHops

Ok, so I figured out what is causing the delay. Any movement of the "screen"... like if I bump it with my leg or wiggle it just a little both the touchpad and keyboard go out for a second until it sits still. As long as it doesn't move, no issues. Do I need to clean the contacts or something? If so, any recommended procedures?

OP
E

ElectricHops

For those that find themselves having similar issues to me. A vigorous wiping across the contacts on the keyboard side seems to have resolved my issue. I can now wobble the screen and it doesn't cause touchpad issues.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to @ElectricHops and @mtmowl
Summary of resolution:

Touchpad Two-Finger Scrolling hesitation -
Application dependent. No issue with Edge Browser, Office, Microsoft programs and apps

Touchpad Pinch-to-Zoom hesitation -
Poor physical connection between screen and keyboard. Clean away residue or debris.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
May also be the same on the surface pro 3 (and 4) I use firefox and have no trouble with two finger scrolling, or two finger right clicking I use it all the time but do have the delay with pinch to zoom. I just never noticed before as I don't generally use it.