What's new

Touchpad unusable

Arizona Willie

I have the original Surface Pro with the Type cover.

I have always found the touchpad to be unusable.
It is almost impossible to put the cursor on a given point on the screen because it jumps around so much so far.

I have poked around in Control Panel looking into the touch and pen things but none of that solves the problem.

Touching the screen usually works ok but often the type is so small that my finger will hit 3 or 4 different points and I really need to use the cursor to click on a small item.

Without a mouse it is almost impossible.

Anyone know how to turn down the movement sensitivity on the Touch pad on the Type cover?

Metalman

You can adjust your touch pad through the mouse setting in control panel.

I put a skin over the touch pad (I cut it out of a stickerboy keyboard back cover) and it made a big difference on the feel and accuracy of the touch pad.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Everything I can find in Control Panel is about Touch for the < SCREEN > not the touchpad. There is an icon for Keyboard but it does not address the touchpad.

You can adjust your touch pad through the mouse setting in control panel.

I put a skin over the touch pad (I cut it out of a stickerboy keyboard back cover) and it made a big difference on the feel and accuracy of the touch pad.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

So I would have to slow down my mouses pointer to try to get control of the touch panel,eh?

Nah, I < like > a fast mouse pointer. The speed for me isn't the problem. It the fact it jumps all over the place.
Just touch the touchpad the the cursor is liable to go clear across the screen. It is virtually impossible to put the cursor on a tiny icon or link because I can't get it to stop where I want it.

It's just a mess.

Fortunatley, I have a bluetooth mouse that is working well and I seldom use the touchpad because it is so bad.
But once in awhile I find myself without the mouse and then it is irritating.

Wayne Orwig

I thought the Type Cover touchpad was bad until I tried the Type Cover 2 touchpad. It is truly atrocious.

The same here. My original type cover failed, the replacement touch cover 2 has the nice lighted keys, but the touch pad is incredibly bad.