What's new

Tracking Battery Life

sattie_c

I haven't posted here in awhile since I haven't really done any solid battery use until today. Today, I was at a conference where I was taking notes in OneNote as well as using Chrome to look up webpages and viewing the programme pdf with Xodo Docs. My SP4 was screen on for 307 minutes (5.1 hours), on overall for 10 hours including sleep, which drained 69% of the battery. This would lead to a projected battery life of 7.4 hours. This is only one data point but might indicate that the recent updates might have improved battery life a little bit.
26734043316_f53c5e4a0f_b.jpg
That's good battery life. Since my last comments, I've received 2 replacement SP4, the first one had good battery life, draining around just over 10% per hour with just web use, however the screen flickered very badly so I ended up exchanging for another. My second replacement has poor battery drain, no improvement over my original, 20% drain per hour giving around 5 hours. I'm not happy to keep and will be requesting another replacement. If there is no improvement in the 3rd one then I'm going to see what my options would be from Microsoft.

wynand32

That's good battery life. Since my last comments, I've received 2 replacement SP4, the first one had good battery life, draining around just over 10% per hour with just web use, however the screen flickered very badly so I ended up exchanging for another. My second replacement has poor battery drain, no improvement over my original, 20% drain per hour giving around 5 hours. I'm not happy to keep and will be requesting another replacement. If there is no improvement in the 3rd one then I'm going to see what my options would be from Microsoft.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm going through roughly the same situation. Have an SP4 that I get around 4.5 hours with, requested a replacement. The first one had a terrible yellow tint to the screen (that's my biggest reason for using the SP4, the excellent screen, so I won't give that up), so I requested another. This one also gets about the same battery life.

I really don't know how people are getting their 7+ hours with actual screen-on use. The SP4 has a 38Wh battery, or 38000 mWh or so. Getting 7 hours would require averaging about 5000 mWh. Using BatteryBar, I've tracked during use and I can't imagine it averaging that little.

But, perhaps there's something else going on. If you got a good replacement, I'd love to know. Thanks in advance!