What's new

Trackpad delay

herpderp

Hi guys,
I just got a new Surface Pro 3 and I don't like how the trackpad behaves.
There is a little delay when I'm starting to move the cursor. It's really annoying when I try to do small movements like going from one checkbox to the one below it.
If i place my finger on the pad, move ~3 millimeters, lift my finger, place it again, move ~3mm and so on, the cursor won't even move a pixel.
I already changed the delay in mouse and touchpad settings and refreshed the OS, but this doesn't solve my issue.
Is this some kind of feature?

nipponham

I don't know how you're measuring "~3 millimeters", but you're right that there is a very slight delay between finger movement and the cursor moving, meaning it's not an exact 1:1 movement. However, I have no problem with very precise control in moving the cursor even a millimetre up or down.

OP
H

herpderp

I don't know how you're measuring "~3 millimeters", but you're right that there is a very slight delay between finger movement and the cursor moving, meaning it's not an exact 1:1 movement. However, I have no problem with very precise control in moving the cursor even a millimetre up or down.
I wasn't measuring, but i think it's more space than time related.
The SP3 at my local "Media Markt" had the same issue, so i guess i have to get used to it and/or buy a bluetooth mouse.

bluegrass

I know the perfect solution to your problem. Pickup a USB wireless mouse & use it instead of the track pad. Logitech makes good ones at a reasonable price but I'm sure there are other good ones out there. The track pad is simply not up to the task of being able to easily & quickly putting the cursor in precise location. Try it. You'll love it in comparison to the track pad. You can also go the blue-tooth route but I think the wireless USB mice or much more reliable at getting connected. I have both in my Surface toolbox. I may get the Microsoft arch one since it folds flat and would be easier to fit in my Surface traveling kit.

Liam2349

I have noticed this issue before. You get a 1:1 movement when the cursor starts moving, but the initial movement of the cursor requires quite a bit more movement on the trackpad. Once the cursor is moving, very small trackpad movements are picked up.

I feel like this is some kind of anti-accidental touch, but I'd love to disable it.