What's new

Trackpad Issues

jk1

I have had my SB for a few days now and fortunately have not had many issues. However, from time to time, after I wake up the computer I have noticed that my pointer has disappeared from the screen and will not come back even when I click the track pad. I then have to restart the computer to get the pointer to show up again.

Anyone else having these issues? Any thoughts on how this can be resolved if at all?

Thanks.

Migi

Just the sheer amount of ridiculous issues that are cropping up makes me wonder if MS did any testing/QA at all with these devices!

Migi

I'm sure they didn't....in fact they built the prototype just before the reveal and are using a 3D printer in Redmond to make them using V- staffers :rolleyes:o_O

I know you are mocking my response, but seriously they rushed this thing out to the public with a bazillion deal-breaker issues! If this were Apple, the media would be going berzerker!

mkenny28

I know you are mocking my response, but seriously they rushed this thing out to the public with a bazillion deal-breaker issues! If this were Apple, the media would be going berzerker!

It's hard to tell what the actual amount of units suffering bugs are. Typically (in my experience) people with zero issues spend little time on forums unless they are an involved member and want to help. There are bugs with every Apple product I have ever purchased at launch, and actually pretty much every tech product period that I have purchased on day 1. I wouldn't call 2 years of development rushing a product; Testing every single situation is just not humanly possible and the majority of the bugs the Surface Book has currently are all driver related. There are people out there having hardware issue but I would bet the percentage of that is lower than people think.

Now as far as the trackpad issues mine seem to be ironed out with the exception of poor scrolling in Chrome but it seems to be limited to Chrome. Otherwise it is great.

I haven't had any issues with mine. Just because there are a lot of people on a message board looking for solutions to their problems, doesn't mean the device is plagued with issues.

mkenny28

I haven't had any issues with mine. Just because there are a lot of people on a message board looking for solutions to their problems, doesn't mean the device is plagued with issues.

yeah that goes along with what I was saying; People without out issues generally aren't on forums because they have no issues that need fixing.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's the fact that most of your posts are...." the sky is falling.... Apple would never do this...." Yet we had bendable iPhones and Antennas that stopped working if you held the phone. Multiple releases of iOS updates have bricked phones, etc. MacBook Air devices have had major WiFi issues throughout their releases...

Building devices and drivers as well as Operating Systems is difficult, there will be bugs and on anything new some PEBCAK that will appear to be bugs, for example the Surface Book clipboard will not detach if it is low on battery, by design yet there are users who have claimed that as a defect or bug.

And the press is reporting the launch issues with the new products from Microsoft. Judging from the difference of how they run on TH2 when compared to TH1 these issues are software and driver related.

Gadget

I haven't had this touchpad issue. My touchpad works great, other than 2 finger scrolling in Chrome.

Migi

What I'm saying is for a device that starts at $1499 the trackpad should have been Macbook quality on Day 1.

Migi

And the MacBook Pro should have a detachable screen and active digitizer from day one?

My point is to compare like to like features, not things that don't exist on either one. F.e., I wouldn't hold the lack of Force Touch against Surface Book. But I would expect the touch pad to work as good as a Macbook trackpad pre-Force Touch for $1499 entry price. Why have lesser expectations when Panos Panay gets up there so arrogantly and declares "this... is the ultimate laptop".

Also getting to Windows 10 vs OS X. Why in OSX are mouse tracking and scrolling 100% consistent across applications, but in Windows 10 you hear reports that it's fine in one application but terrible in Chrome or Edge? I honestly don't understand why Microsoft even allows this to happen from a lower-level gesture model standpoint. It means they failed somewhere in the software engineering.