What's new

Trackpad Issues

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I like apples.
I like oranges.
I don't expect oranges to be more like apples. If I want an orange, I choose an orange.
Maybe tomorrow I will want an apple.
If I don't like my orange, I probably won't blog about how absurd it is that other people might like theirs.

I like hamburgers and I like pizza.
I don't wish my hamburger was a pizza.
Someone may create "The Ultimate Burger".
I don't criticize them for it. To many, it may indeed be the ultimate burger.

cmatvchuk

I like apples.
I like oranges.
I don't expect oranges to be more like apples. If I want an orange, I choose an orange.
Maybe tomorrow I want an apple.
If I don't like my orange, I probably won't blog about how absurd it is that other people might like theirs.

I like hamburgers and I like pizza.
I don't wish my hamburger was a pizza.
Someone may create "The Ultimate Burger".
I don't criticize them for it. To many, it may indeed be the ultimate burger.

I like it, well done.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My point is to compare like to like features, not things that don't exist on either one. F.e., I wouldn't hold the lack of Force Touch against Surface Book. But I would expect the touch pad to work as good as a Macbook trackpad pre-Force Touch for $1499 entry price. Why have lesser expectations when Panos Panay gets up there so arrogantly and declares "this... is the ultimate laptop".

Also getting to Windows 10 vs OS X. Why in OSX are mouse tracking and scrolling 100% consistent across applications, but in Windows 10 you hear reports that it's fine in one application but terrible in Chrome or Edge? I honestly don't understand why Microsoft even allows this to happen from a lower-level gesture model standpoint. It means they failed somewhere in the software engineering.
Again, we have multiple Surface Books deployed, we're seeing none of the issues. Why is OSX and Windows different? Because one is Open and continues to support backward compatibility and the other is Closed and does not support Backwards Compatibility. Chrome on Windows uses Windows XP era code as does iTunes. New software written to the newer standards works fine. Those who are required or chose to use programs that use legacy code will face these issues.

johnj2803

I have this problem with my surface pro 3 as well and that is on windows 8.1. I am noticing this on my surfacebook as well. So sufficing to say this is not surface book exclusive.

It bothers me sometimes because I have to resart the computer. But then, it resarts fast so I never really bothered to post it in the forums.

Hope that helps...

Surface Book

Again, we have multiple Surface Books deployed, we're seeing none of the issues. Why is OSX and Windows different? Because one is Open and continues to support backward compatibility and the other is Closed and does not support Backwards Compatibility. Chrome on Windows uses Windows XP era code as does iTunes. New software written to the newer standards works fine. Those who are required or chose to use programs that use legacy code will face these issues.

I'm new here.. do you just defend Microsoft no matter what? It's funny how you're using anecdotal evidence to support your argument. I just spent $1900 on a device that is buggy, including the faulty trackpad. You don't have to be a fanboy to appreciate what Microsoft is doing, but there's nothing wrong with being critical, especially when there is a real problem.

leeshor

I'm new here.. do you just defend Microsoft no matter what? It's funny how you're using anecdotal evidence to support your argument. I just spent $1900 on a device that is buggy, including the faulty trackpad. You don't have to be a fanboy to appreciate what Microsoft is doing, but there's nothing wrong with being critical, especially when there is a real problem.
I understand you are new here. I don't feel you know jnjroach well enough to consider his comments anecdotal or to criticize his post at all. He stated objective fact in his post and he, like me, are both IT professionals. If you are having a legitimate issue with your Surface Book that has not been addressed here, take it up with Microsoft. Other here are not having the issues you are experiencing with the trackpad.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is your first post so I will reserve judgment. I will not defend blindly but will push back on hyperbole as this thread has seen.

If you've applied all the updates including still having issues then call MS for a RMA.

Wayne Orwig

To the original question. I've not had an issue like that with my trackpad in the 6 days I have used mine. I sometimes use Hibernate, but usually Sleep mode. With the new display drivers, things are pretty stable for me now.

It would be nice if people would stay more on topic and not contribute pointless rants. (that is my pointless rant BTW. ;) )

Migi

Hopefully MS keeps the firmware updates coming and increases the quality of this trackpad. I want to believe in this product!

ipaq_101

If Microsoft or Apple waited 100% to make sure that every bug was eradicated then we would still be on Windows 8.1 and the SP1.

Products are released often with bugs and are later fixed via updates, this happens in all industries, automobiles, software, hardware, cellphones, etc. I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the first few months was unbearable as the battery lasted half a day, since then there have been numerous firmware updates and it has been the best phone I have used to date. The same thing for my SP3, bought day 1 and went through early adopter issues, since then one of the best products I have ever used.

There is always a trade off in business, do you want the latest and greatest hardware released more frequently or do you want to wait years between cycle updates for products that have all the kinks worked out? I prefer them to come more frequently.

Btw the SP4 keyboard and track-pad are way better than the original released with the SP3, day and night, so consider yourself lucky to not have had to go through that experience.

GSprunk

I have Surface (2) Pro 3's and (3) 2's in our company as well as normal desktops and just purchased a new Surface Book. I also have a MacBook Pro running Windows 7 in Parallels. I have to say as a user who has Adobe Creative Suite as well as AutoCAD LT and ACT and others I am on the computer constantly for work I hoped this device was the reward for suffering through the Surface Pro 2 small screen and the inability to use the Surface Pro 3 on my lap without a laptop desk, etc. I will say that I love the hardware. I am thrilled with the weight, the functionality, the screen, the keyboard, etc.

I am not happy with the following:
  • The trackpad constantly loses the pointer when I detach or wake up from sleeping with the lid closed, etc.
  • Cortana is a joke. I wanted to be able to type emails, to have it connect to my Office Exchange account and it does neither. The windows speech recognition does not work at all. Mac is much better. Office does not connect to Cortana unless you have a business 365 account I read and I have only connected it to LinkedIn. Wont even connect to my Hotmail account. Come on. Really?
  • Most of the time I have to detach and reattach the screen to get the touchpad to work.
  • I ask Cortana to take a note and get an error that says to check back for future updates.
Other than that. I downloaded the newest firmware earlier this week. Will be happy to get these bugs worked out. Cortana is really the most frustrating thing I have run into. Hope they get that to work and that I can write emails, take notes and other issues I should be able to do like I can on the Mac. This device has great promise.