What's new

Trackpad just died...

mitchellvii

Did a full refresh on my OS because I was changing from 32 bit Office to 64 bit Office and it was causing some problems.

Now that I did the refresh and installed the hardware update, my Touch Keyboard is working but it doesn't see my trackpad. I downloaded Trackpad Settings app and even that says I have no trackpad connected.

So, any ideas?

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Did a full refresh on my OS because I was changing from 32 bit Office to 64 bit Office and it was causing some problems.

Now that I did the refresh and installed the hardware update, my Touch Keyboard is working but it doesn't see my trackpad. I downloaded Trackpad Settings app and even that says I have no trackpad connected.

So, any ideas?

No ideas, but you may already know this, the last firmware update apparently killed the Trackpad Settings app - and yes, the error message does say that there is no trackpad connected. I know I am experiencing the same problem with my RT attached to the Type Cover. However, the keyboard in itself is still working. Ideally, I like to disable the damn trackpad when typing long documents, but with this Trackpad app not working, I can't which is causing problems - minor problems - but problems nevertheless. I guess either the App needs to be updated or we need to wait for another firmware update!

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, did a FULL WIPE RESTORE (which surprisingly was quite fast) and it did solve the trackpad issue.

I was able to load the Trackpad Settings software and turn the trackpad back on. Apparently what is happening is if you have the trackpad turned off during the hardware update or during a software restore it locks it off and the Trackpad Settings software can't see it. So, if you are stuck, do a full wipe restore and make sure the trackpad is on during the hardware update.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Oops, Trackpad Settings just died again. Luckily this time it died when the trackpad was on so now it's stuck on. I sure wish MS would stop breaking stuff with these updates.

There must be some REGEDIT setting that controls the Trackpad Status. Wonder what it is?

docangle

It is Windows Update KB2822241 that is breaking the Metro Trackpad Settings App. You can uninstall the update under 'Program and Features' and click on 'View installed updates' and find the update and click uninstall.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

It is Windows Update KB2822241 that is breaking the Metro Trackpad Settings App. You can uninstall the update under 'Program and Features' and click on 'View installed updates' and find the update and click uninstall.

A million thanks. :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Oops, you sure that's the one? Uninstalled that update and Trackpad Setting still not seeing trackpad.

kristalsoldier

If I were you, I'd not mess around with the Updates. MS will have to fix that app...just hope they don't take 6 months as you mentioned!!! But till now they seem to have been ok with their updates.

Nuspieds

There must be some REGEDIT setting that controls the Trackpad Status. Wonder what it is?
When I was on the phone with them the other day, that's the first thing I asked. This is a pretty significant bug if your Trackpad is disabled and you need it enabled.

Unfortunately, no info from the Answer Tech regarding the Registry settings.

docangle

Oops, you sure that's the one? Uninstalled that update and Trackpad Setting still not seeing trackpad.

Make sure you:

1. Restarted your Surface after removing the update.
2. If you have Automatic Updates on, make sure it was not re-installed.
3. If it was re-installed, make sure you uninstall it again. When asked to restart your machine click no, go into Windows Update and check for updates, when it finds the update right click on it and select hide. When the trackpad app is updated you can always go back into Windows Update and unhide and install the update.