What's new

Trackpad just died...

docangle

When I was on the phone with them the other day, that's the first thing I asked. This is a pretty significant bug if your Trackpad is disabled and you need it enabled.

Unfortunately, no info from the Answer Tech regarding the Registry settings.

If your Trackpad is disabled with the update installed you can re-enable it by going into Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, Right Click on Touch Cover Trackpad settings and uninstall it. Restart you device, run Windows Update, and let it re-install the Touch Cover Drivers which will enable the Trackpad by default..

Nuspieds

If your Trackpad is disabled with the update installed you can re-enable it by going into Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, Right Click on Touch Cover Trackpad settings and uninstall it. Restart you device, run Windows Update, and let it re-install the Touch Cover Drivers which will enable the Trackpad by default..
Besides not wanting to venture into those waters (I'm imagining a scenario where not only do I lose the Trackpad, but the entire Keyboard now), I want my Trackpad disabled. I had only wanted to re-enable it to perform a test on something; otherwise, I hate that thing and I want it to keep it disabled.

I'm glad it is stuck in a disabled state rather than the other way around, where it would have continued to cause me nothing but grief and frustration.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Besides not wanting to venture into those waters (I'm imagining a scenario where not only do I lose the Trackpad, but the entire Keyboard now), I want my Trackpad disabled. I had only wanted to re-enable it to perform a test on something; otherwise, I hate that thing and I want it to keep it disabled.

I'm glad it is stuck in a disabled state rather than the other way around, where it would have continued to cause me nothing but grief and frustration.

Yeah right now mine is stuck in enabled mode and I wish it wasn't. I rarely use it and when I am trying to write on the screen it causes problems.

C'mon MS dammit, you broke this thing over a week ago and your thousands of developers can't patch it yet? Are you even trying or did you decide we needed the track pad on whether we liked it or not and broke it intentionally?

I am getting pretty damned sick of MS deciding for me what is best and basically NEVER fixing bugs. One example. When they were advertising OneNote 2010 their literature said you could use finger zoom on your notes. Well, you never could and after a million promises of them having their "best people on it" you still can't. So basically all the promises of a fix were smoke. They never intended to fix it.

MS seems less like 1 company and more like hundreds of individual departments doing their own thing then trying to paste it all together at the end. Is anyone actually in charge?

WHERE IS THE FIX TO TRACKPAD SETTINGS???!!!

** A month from now we still probably won't have a fix but we will have 10 new features no one asked for nor wants which will in turn probably break 10 other things everyone wants and uses every day. MS is the most masochistic, self-destructive company of all time.

And yeah, I'm pissed. My $120 keyboard doesn't work right - FIX IT!

Last edited:

docangle

mitchellvii, I can't imagine why you can't get the trackpad settings to work after removing the update, I have done it on 5 Surface Pro's without issue. I am wondering if the Update is failing to uninstall. Is it still in the windows Update (Installed) list? Does it show up again in Windows Update? If it is showing in Windows Update, go ahead and install it, reboot, and try uninstalling it again.

Nuspieds

Yeah right now mine is stuck in enabled mode and I wish it wasn't. I rarely use it and when I am trying to write on the screen it causes problems.

C'mon MS dammit, you broke this thing over a week ago and your thousands of developers can't patch it yet? Are you even trying or did you decide we needed the track pad on whether we liked it or not and broke it intentionally?
First, why the Trackpad Settings app wasn't included on the Start screen is beyond me. Or, better yet, include it as part of the PC settings. Either way, there should be no need to go to the Store. When I ran into my frustrations with it, the first thing I searched for were settings. It was only after stumbling upon a post somewhere that I discovered I had to go to the Store to download the app. That is not at all intuitive. But, still, I'm grateful that at least there was a way to disable that nuisance.

Second, to me, this is such a high-priority bug which needs to be addressed ASAP! No need to include it with other fixes for a Patch Tuesday or whatever; just get this thing out on its own ASAP.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

mitchellvii, I can't imagine why you can't get the trackpad settings to work after removing the update, I have done it on 5 Surface Pro's without issue. I am wondering if the Update is failing to uninstall. Is it still in the windows Update (Installed) list? Does it show up again in Windows Update? If it is showing in Windows Update, go ahead and install it, reboot, and try uninstalling it again.

I think i see the problem. I am uninstalling the update, turning off all automatic updating, running a manual update then hiding the broken update so that it can't resinstall then rebooting. However, during the reboot the system is looping 3 times telling me the update cannot be completed successfully and restoring the deleted update.

So apparently MS not only broke my trackpad, they are making sure I can't fix it. Not a happy camper. MS why am I wasting my time with this?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

First, why the Trackpad Settings app wasn't included on the Start screen is beyond me. Or, better yet, include it as part of the PC settings. Either way, there should be no need to go to the Store. When I ran into my frustrations with it, the first thing I searched for were settings. It was only after stumbling upon a post somewhere that I discovered I had to go to the Store to download the app. That is not at all intuitive. But, still, I'm grateful that at least there was a way to disable that nuisance.

Second, to me, this is such a high-priority bug which needs to be addressed ASAP! No need to include it with other fixes for a Patch Tuesday or whatever; just get this thing out on its own ASAP.

Didn't you know, MS doesn't do "intuitive". MS does "emotional".

Nuspieds

I think i see the problem. I am uninstalling the update, turning off all automatic updating, running a manual update then hiding the broken update so that it can't resinstall then rebooting. However, during the reboot the system is looping 3 times telling me the update cannot be completed successfully and restoring the deleted update.

So apparently MS not only broke my trackpad, they are making sure I can't fix it. Not a happy camper. MS why am I wasting my time with this?
I know what you mean, but the real problem is that they broke it!

Anyway, have you logged this issue with Surface Support? I never call; I just use chat. Plain and simple, your request should be that you need to enable it, so what is the procedure?

The more people who log the issue, hopefully it translates into a higher priority for them to fix and/or at least provide a workaround like a Registry edit or something.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I know what you mean, but the real problem is that they broke it!

Anyway, have you logged this issue with Surface Support? I never call; I just use chat. Plain and simple, your request should be that you need to enable it, so what is the procedure?

The more people who log the issue, hopefully it translates into a higher priority for them to fix and/or at least provide a workaround like a Registry edit or something.

Yes, I spoke with MSP technical support. The tech I spoke to wasn't even aware of the problem and was surprised when his didn't work properly either. So apparently MS knows about this but hasn't bothered informing their technical staff.

MS just seems like a broken organization to me. They do some things very well but the things they fail at are so obvious and avoidable. It's like the whole world is screaming PUT BACK THE DAMNED START BUTTON! and only now MS is saying, "Huh, you think maybe the Start Button is a problem?"

The one thing that gives me comfort in all this is that MS has mastered the Animated Modern UI Application Tile. I mean, my God I don't know WHAT I would do if my Modern UI Tiles weren't animated! Huge productivity enhancer. We'll just file that under "another cool but completely useless feature that MS has wasted their time on when they could have been fixing things that matter."

docangle

Sounds like the uninstaller information for the Update has been deleted, try installing the update manually by downloading it @ Download Update for Windows Server 2012 (KB2822241) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Once installed, reboot and try uninstalling it.

If the standalone installer says it is already installed, just start a command line with Admin Rights and type 'Windows8-RT-KB2822241-x64.msu /uninstall'

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Sounds like the uninstaller information for the Update has been deleted, try installing the update manually by downloading it @ Download Update for Windows Server 2012 (KB2822241) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Once installed, reboot and try uninstalling it.

If the standalone installer says it is already installed, just start a command line with Admin Rights and type 'Windows8-RT-KB2822241-x64.msu /uninstall'

Different approach, same result. Updating fails.