What's new

Trackpad just died...

Nuspieds

Yes, I spoke with MSP technical support. The tech I spoke to wasn't even aware of the problem and was surprised when his didn't work properly either. So apparently MS knows about this but hasn't bothered informing their technical staff."
What nonsense! Now I'm completely skeptical as to whether or not they are working on a fix. Then again, I already started to have my doubts seeing that it has been taking so long for them to release a patch. :mad:

I say "nonsense" because when I called, the Answer Tech told me that it has already been reported and that it has already been escalated. However, prior to that, she was trying to convince me to do a refresh! Of course I refused and that's when I told her to check it on her Surface Pro and, sure enough, it was not working. Then, and only then, did she finally understand and that suggesting the customer do a refresh was completely inappropriate--and I let her know that, too.

She claims it was replicated by her colleagues. In addition to her claim that it has already been escalated, then this leads me to believe that not only are they aware, but that they are working on a fix.

So she then asks me for the Type Cover serial number so that she can include it in the Support Case file. Of course I don't see one immediately and easily like you do on the Surface Pro, so then she tells me where to look and I still don't see it and she even said that it was small and that I should use my camera to take a picture, then zoom in and find it. I look again, still didn't see it, but replied, "If the Type Cover serial number were so important and had to be referenced, then it shouldn't be so inconspicuous!"

She persisted, so then I said, "Use your serial number. After all, you're experiencing it, too! Just get the problem logged!"

Who knows what she ended up doing, but now I am even more thankful that mine is stuck in the mode that I prefer it to be because now I'm not sure if they're even addressing this issue at all.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok the hell with it. I am doing a full wipe and restore then not installing the hardware update or anything after that until they get this fixed. As far as I can tell there is nothing in the hardware update that does anything but break stuff.

Nuspieds

Really?!

You don't have a lot to re-install and reconfigure? They have always responded to me in the 3-5 business days for each Support Case, so don't you want to at least wait for an official response?

Because what if you wipe and by not installing any updates you face other issues?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Really?!

You don't have a lot to re-install and reconfigure? They have always responded to me in the 3-5 business days for each Support Case, so don't you want to at least wait for an official response?

Because what if you wipe and by not installing any updates you face other issues?

Yes there is no doubt it is a colossal PITA but I want this FIXED. I just did full wipe and restore. Started system with wifi off. Went into updates and turned off all automatic updating. Then ran an update and unchecked and hid the evil 2822241.

So let's see if this works. Will install all updates except the screwed up one.

At least my SSD will be really really really really broken in :)

Last edited:

Nuspieds

Yes there is no doubt it is a colossal PITA but I want this FIXED. I just did full wipe and restore. Started system with wifi off. Went into updates and turned off all automatic updating. Then ran an update and unchecked and hid the evil 2822241.

So let's see if this works. Will install all updates except the screwed up one.

At least my SSD will be really really really really broken in :)
Unless you end up burning out its circuitry with all that activity! :)

Ok, good luck and report back with the results. I hope it works out for you.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Unless you end up burning out its circuitry with all that activity! :)

Ok, good luck and report back with the results. I hope it works out for you.

Ok, finally some good news to report. If you want to avoid this bug do the following:

1) Full wipe and restore (doesn't take that long) - backup your data first obviously.
2) When doing initial setup, do NOT turn on wifi.
3) Open Windows updates and turn OFF all automatic updates.
4) Connect to wifi.
5) Go back to Windows Updates and request all updates.
6) Do NOT install these!
7) Pull up the list of available updates and uncheck the 2822241.
8) Right click that update and select "Hide Update" so that you won't accidentally install it again later.
9) Run all other updates and reboot.
10) Download Trackpad Settings from the Store.
11) It works!

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ah, and now my Surface Pro is working exactly as it should. I swear installing these MS updates is like playing Russian Roulette. I think I will hold off on all updates until the reports are back on what has been broken by them. Having your SP set to automatically install all updates is just nuts at this point.

Nuspieds

:cool:
Ok, finally some good news to report. If you want to avoid this bug do the following:

1) Full wipe and restore (doesn't take that long) - backup your data first obviously.
2) When doing initial setup, do NOT turn on wifi.
3) Open Windows updates and turn OFF all automatic updates.
4) Connect to wifi.
5) Go back to Windows Updates and request all updates.
6) Do NOT install these!
7) Pull up the list of available updates and uncheck the 2822241.
8) Right click that update and select "Hide Update" so that you won't accidentally install it again later.
9) Run all other updates and reboot.
10) Download Trackpad Settings from the Store.
11) It works!
Woohoo! Congratulations!!!! :cool:

I can obviously completely empathize with you on the hassles of that damn Trackpad, so I'm very that you're finally back to where you want to be.

Nuspieds

Ah, and now my Surface Pro is working exactly as it should. I swear installing these MS updates is like playing Russian Roulette. I think I will hold off on all updates until the reports are back on what has been broken by them. Having your SP set to automatically install all updates is just nuts at this point.
Sadly, I think that's the nature of beast when it comes to Windows. One of the precautions I have always taken for my PCs is to do weekly system image backups.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Sadly, I think that's the nature of beast when it comes to Windows. One of the precautions I have always taken for my PCs is to do weekly system image backups.

I just created a Restore Point with everything working just in case I screw this up again.

Man I just read an article absolutely ripping MS a new one for Windows 8. Just as I suspected, rather than back off on forcing the Modern UI down our throats, MS is going to double down and make Desktop even harder to use so we are COMPELLED to adopt Modern (Metro, whatever it's called this week).

I swear if I didn't have such a deep legacy commitment to Office products i would dump Windows for Linux tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

I just created a Restore Point with everything working just in case I screw this up again.

Man I just read an article absolutely ripping MS a new one for Windows 8. Just as I suspected, rather than back off on forcing the Modern UI down our throats, MS is going to double down and make Desktop even harder to use so we are COMPELLED to adopt Modern (Metro, whatever it's called this week).

I swear if I didn't have such a deep legacy commitment to Office products i would dump Windows for Linux tomorrow.
Legacy Desktop apps are not going to disappear overnight, so I certainly wouldn't expect the support/easy access and usage of them in the new Windows to disappear/made more challenging overnight, either.

Nuspieds

Here is the response I just received from MS:

The issues with the Trackpad App since the most recent Windows update have been reported to our development team. They are currently working on an update that will resolve the issue. Unfortunately, until the update rolls out, we do not have any workarounds for this particular issue.