What's new

Solved Transitioning from Apple to SP3

M

ManUnited

Let me begin by thanking many of you for your assistance. Spending time in this forum has truly opened my eyes to the possibility of moving away from two Apple devices (13-inch MBP-Retina and iPad mini Retina) to a SP3.

However, the transition has not been as smooth as I hoped for, and with classes starting in two weeks, I am vexed with what my classroom kit will be. The last thing I want to do is try to integrate something into my work patterns mid-semester.

One thing I have noticed recently is when I write something critical (battery life) about the SP3 (especially in comparison to an Apple device), I have sensed a hostility that was unwarranted and unnecessary. As I posted in another thread, I would assume many SP3 advocates would welcome neophytes such as myself. For the most part, many of you have.

My point is that these devices are inanimate objects designed to assist us in our work or daily lives. Outwardly cheering for one platform or device over another and ridiculing the opposition only exposes one's own biases and does not assist the person who asked the original question.

If you are familiar with English football, my avatar states that I know a wee bit about rivalries. As mighty as the Red Devils have been, I can be critical of them (especially after 13-14 campaign) and not lose any of my passion. I do not have to verbally beat Liverpool down to verbally build ManU up.

I respectfully submit that we do the same here.

Cheers.

leeshor

Having owned and run my own computer business since 1989 I have seen and heard all the arguments pro and con and I personally feel you have taken some of the comments too seriously. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and nobody I have seen here seems to have indicated that you are being forced to choose. The options are all yours.

I will go this far, (and I hope no further), as to say that most of the people I know who were using Apple products back in the early 90s because they thought it was the only way to get their specific work done are now using either a PC, or a Mac with Parallels or Bootcamp, (or other VM). I actually have 2 customers who own Macbook Pros who don't ever use the Mac OS. I'm not bashing Apple products in any way just pointing that it's your option to do whatever works for you. The word "works" is key.

ctitanic

Copying and pasting.
It's hard to stay calmed answering questions from Apple "fanboys" because all we have received from those are attacks after attacks. In another hand, they come to these forums just to tell us how good Apple devices are. They don't stop comparing. I used an iPad as my main Tablet for more than two years. I was in a constant fight looking for workarounds to do anything that I wanted to do. But I never went to an Apple forum to establish comparisons or bash their products. Because it was my decision to buy an iPad. A decision that I took after analyzing the market and getting into the conclusion that there was not any other tablet on that moment better than an iPad. So if I got up to that point and bought it I had to live with that decision and no torture any other happy owner because of my decision or unhappiness with the product. I visited their forums to learn and ask questions and always kept my opinion about the iPad for myself or my blog. My point is that if I went to those Apple forums telling them about the iPad limitations would have been like telling them "Hey, you are a bunch of stupid incapable of taking a smart educated decision". So for respect, I asked questions when I had one without establishing comparisons. And that's all I ask from Apple users. Surface owners are not stupid. They know about how good Macbook are and decided not to buy one.​

OP
M

ManUnited

I never went to an Apple forum to establish comparisons...
But that is exactly how MS is marketing the SP3 — just look at the new commercials. Even in the SP3 introduction when MS dropped a SP3 on a scale with a MBA.

MS wants consumers to compare and make a decision. However, when an Apple user does come here asking legitimate questions about comparing and replacing the devices they have previously used, you seem to get offended that they even broach the subject.

No one used the word stupid, yet you used it twice in your reply.

ipaq_101

I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is but to continue even more hostility towards apple users. I have visited mac rumors and read comments from Apple users after any article or post referring to the SP3 and I can tell you the hostility is endless and very condescending, nothing compared to what you have seen on this forum, not even close.

You are coming from a different ecosystem to a rather refreshed outlook of Windows and in a community where majority of the users use Windows, sometimes the gripes from Apple users are hard to understand. We don't know your experiences with Apple and saying on my MBP this doesn't happen or this does doesn't help, because I don't use a MBP so I don't know what you are talking about.

Referring to battery life, that is a very hard thing to understand because it's based on personal usage, I get around 7 hours or more and do what I can to extend it. If you aren't getting the life you should take a look at your background processes and identify what is a memory hog.

Bottom line is that people are passionate, about platforms, cars, soccer (that's right we call it soccer) teams and you going to a Liverpool forum or a BMW driver going to a Mercedes forum should expect some negative comments. It's one thing to be critical of your own team, but another thing going on your rivals forum and saying something negative, people will defend what they are passionate about. You can't change how people will react, but you can learn to block out the noise, I have had to and it helps me get to an answer much quicker.

OP
M

ManUnited

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and nobody I have seen here seems to have indicated that you are being forced to choose.

It's not the choice of the product I am questioning, it is that some topics seem unapproachable. As I responded to Frank, MS's entire marketing campaign seems connected to comparing the SP3 to the MBA and the iPad. Yet, when legitimate questions are asked and directly compare products, some replies take umbrage to the comparison.

Look at the front page of the MS store today:
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 9.35.08 AM.jpg

Go deeper into the store and see this:
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 9.37.56 AM.jpg
I am one of those people MS is marketing to; and, since I am here, I would say it's working rather well. Again, this site has been invaluable to my research, yet some participants seem beyond partisan if the question even slightly praises an Apple product.

I have not taken the comments too serious. Some respondents have taken the questions too personal.

ctitanic

But that is exactly how MS is marketing the SP3 — just look at the new commercials. Even in the SP3 introduction when MS dropped a SP3 on a scale with a MBA.

MS wants consumers to compare and make a decision. However, when an Apple user does come here asking legitimate questions about comparing and replacing the devices they have previously used, you seem to get offended that they even broach the subject.

No one used the word stupid, yet you used it twice in your reply.

Was Apple the one that started the comparisons and making Windows users to look like stupid and uneducated.

I happen to enjoy both sides of the fence (Mac and PC) and I'm fairly accustomed to seeing flame wars erupting on both sides. As with most things in life these days ask away and just be prepared to sort through the mess for the answers you are looking for. There are a bunch of great people here with tons of experience and strong opinions. Don't allow some criticism, earned or not, lead you astray.

OP
M

ManUnited

Was Apple the one that started the comparisons and making Windows users to look like stupid and uneducated.

How does this advance the conversation? Apple did it from 2006-2010, so now it's our turn.

The difference between that ad campaign and MS's current campaign is two-fold:
  1. Apple was mocking the complexity of Windows and advocating the simplicity of MacOS.
  2. MS is persuading Apple users to convert
There is a big difference. I don't agree with either campaign, per se.

However, when an Apple user does want to follow MS's campaign and compare the products, you bristle at the comparison?

ctitanic

I happen to enjoy both sides of the fence (Mac and PC) and I'm fairly accustomed to seeing flame wars erupting on both sides. As with most things in life these days ask away and just be prepared to sort through the mess for the answers you are looking for. There are a bunch of great people here with tons of experience. Don't allow some criticism, earned or not, lead you astray.
Totally agree. I will not let any question unanswered (if I know the answer) no matter who is asking. As far as I know there is not an ignore button on this forum and it there it's one, I don't use it.