What's new

Solved Transitioning from Apple to SP3

foghat

fwiw, I too am getting nowhere near the MS claimed battery life.

I could maybe get 7 hours on a light day, more like 5-6 (with device being used the entire time) - this is just being used in an office environment (office 365, surf, maybe a video or 2). Since I have the ability to plug-in during my day, this doesn't bother me too much. If I were a student, it could be an issue.

ipaq_101

You have to tinker with settings, the 9 hours quoted by MS is if you do nothing but use the internet, was it a marketing ploy, of course. I do more than just surf the web and watch Netflix, so I average 7 hours. When running excel models that dips down to 5-6 hours.

You have to make adjustments to maximize battery life, this is what I do:

1) I turn off background notifications
2) Avoid Chrome
3) Avoid Flash video when I can
4) I take my brightness down to 35%, I like it dim, bright screen hurt my eyes.

Those 4 things alone have substantially increased battery life for me, but I doubt I will ever get to 9 hours for my usage.

I work in the auto industry and the battery life quotes by OEMs are similar to miles per gallon (MPG) claims by auto makers. They all quote 35-40 MPG, of course in fine print they say it's highway driving under the most ideal conditions driving like a grandma, hell I have never come close to those figures in any of my cars.

So if you wanted 9 hours, I would think twice about it lasting all day for you. I am student as well in B-school but my classes are only 4 hours and I can plug in so it works for me.

Last edited:

ctitanic

I really don't know what to tell you. People have shown you that you can get more than 6 hours. Some are getting more than 8 hours. And we have shown you how, something that you called tinker. If that's not what you want or it does not work for you then the Surface is not the best tool for you. Return it. We don't have anything else to offer you.

OP
M

ManUnited

When running excel models that dips down to 5-6 hours.

Sadly, I was seeing similar times in editing and annotating documents in Word. I was not expecting a 33-45% loss of battery potential with this one task.

OP
M

ManUnited

We don't have anything else to offer you.

While I appreciate your efforts, I still have two weeks until class begins, so I am not ready to give up my quest yet.

In addition, you may not have anything else to offer, but others might.

OP
M

ManUnited

fwiw, I too am getting nowhere near the MS claimed battery life.

I could maybe get 7 hours on a light day, more like 5-6 (with device being used the entire time) - this is just being used in an office environment (office 365, surf, maybe a video or 2).

@foghat — Interesting. I guess this is what has me perplexed. You, I, and others do not seem to be stressing their SP3s, but are still seeing the battery come up well short. I don't think we would be having these conversations if we were seeing 7-8 hours.

ctitanic

Those 4 things alone have substantially increased battery life for me, but I doubt I will ever get to 9 hours for my usage.

Still, there are few users that get 9 hours. I'm not one of them.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

OP
M

ManUnited

@ctitanic — I would assume you tax your SP3 much more than I do, as well. That is what has me confused. See @foghat posts above for someone experiencing similar issues.