What's new

Traveling with the SP3

mtalinm

soemtimes they ask, sometimes not. last time they asked if it had a keyboard, and I said yes, so they pulled it out. the power cover always sets off the detectors.

speaking of the power cover, I had one with my SP2 and have been taking it on all my trips just in case. haven't needed it yet though.

the surface line has been great for traveling for me, I used to carry a Lenovo x-230 laptop + ipad mini. Ditched both for the sp2 and now sp3, the Lenovo was a tank but cement block heavy....will never use another laptop for portable use again

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Sp3 was great today I took my Lenovo laptop, opened it hooked it up to wifi when I first got to the meeting room then put it away (incase I needed it). Got out the SP3 and used that for the entire meeting taking notes etc. It did annoyingly decide to have a fan blasting session for the first hour or so, it wasn't that noticible due to half the other people in the room either using macs or work-issue Lenovos with their fans going, but it was annoying me so I had to check it out as it's unusual for my i7 to do that (yes I did say it was unusual for my i7 to do that). I traced it to Bitdefender which was a bit odd, tried uninstalling it and got a "repair" option so did that and after it restarted it was then as good as gold but that first fan session cost it quite a bit of it's battery life... however even so it still lasted the entire session with constant screen-on and notetaking, sometimes web/email checking etc.

Oh and I'm still on my original battery in the pen... LOVE it for this sort of thang.... no one appeared to notice the device, it was quite unobtrusive propped in portrait mode on my lap/rested against the table in front instead of acting like a barrier like the other laptops were. It also connected to the guest wifi with no issues either..

bluegrass

Tomorrow I'm going to a meeting in Central London. I'm taking my work laptop which is a nice little Lenovo and quite portable, but I'll also be packing in the SP3... as it'll make little to no weight difference in my bag compared to my laptop. Why am I taking SP3? In case I want to take notes... I can't be arsed to carry paper...lol.

So the more important question is why take anything but your SP3 and a smart phone? My SP3 is more powerful than any of the laptops we have in my organization.

I make sure my SP3 is charged if I'm taking as carry on. Not so much that I'll need it on the plane but I thought security asks for it to be turned on or they will keep it & not let you on the plane with it.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the more important question is why take anything but your SP3 and a smart phone? My SP3 is more powerful than any of the laptops we have in my organization.

I make sure my SP3 is charged if I'm taking as carry on. Not so much that I'll need it on the plane but I thought security asks for it to be turned on or they will keep it & not let you on the plane with it.
Only because I can access my work network remotely from my work laptop and I can't from the surface as it's my personal device and not allowed. In the end I didn't need it but I can access all my networked drives and the databases I use from the work laptop which I can't on the surface.
I did however login to work webmail via the surface rather than use the laptop though!!