What's new

Trouble Booting

OAG

Might try clicking the O/O button twice in fairly rapid succession. Seems to work for me, most of the time.

bluegrass

Might try clicking the O/O button twice in fairly rapid succession. Seems to work for me, most of the time.

Is that the zero zero or the oh oh button & what ever possessed you to try that combination and when do you press it, before during or after the word Surface appears on the screen.

be77solo

With this SP2 I've had non-starting one time, slow starting a few times.

As a safety precaution, most of the time I shutdown the computer before packing it into my briefcase, so cold booting is common for my SP2 and nearly all the time has not been a problem. The rare exception can't be directly attributed to the shutdown/startup routine since I don't have evidence the events are linked.

I've been trying to determine if the Feb FW update is beneficial or resolving various issues, but the "verdict" is unclear.

You seem to have the idea the Feb FW update is faulty. What's your reason for not installing it?

My SP2 startup/wakeup issues have gotten significantly worse after the February round of updates. I was running a fresh reinstall using all the January updates/firmware/drivers and was actually pretty stable by Surface standards, ie the device would turn on for the most part successfully when I wanted for almost a week of daily usage with only one time during that week it did the black screen crash when waking. This was after a month of it not waking properly approximately 25% of the time before the fresh reformat and reinstall and January updates. Then, I updated to February firmware and Windows Updates, and literally, my device now won't power on properly from a shut down 75% of the time. I have to go through the hold Volume Up/Power buttons for 15 seconds, wait 10 seconds, the tap Power again to get the device to turn on.

This may be totally unrelated to the February round of updates and maybe I do have a hardware problem, but I will reformat and go back to my USB install image which I updated to the January driver pack to see how things compare. I just struggle to see this being a hardware problem when there are literally hundreds of posts over on the answers.microsoft.com support forum reporting startup/sleep/hibernate wake problems.

Definitely has rendered the device useless for actual productivity, and is now more a thorn in my side having a $1500 paperweight.

Is that the zero zero or the oh oh button & what ever possessed you to try that combination and when do you press it, before during or after the word Surface appears on the screen.
I'm assuming they are referring to the power button as the O/O button, not a letter on the keyboard.

be77solo

I've been trying to determine if the Feb FW update is beneficial or resolving various issues, but the "verdict" is unclear.

You seem to have the idea the Feb FW update is faulty. What's your reason for not installing it?
Sorry for the double post, following up on jrapdx's questions:

Out of desperation I have restored mine back to a factory state again as I still am trying to determine if my problems are hardware or MS driver related. After the February round of updates, mine has gotten even worse with powering up/waking up. It got so bad I literally end up having to Volume Up/PWR reset more times than not to simply get the machine started after a shutdown, which before only happened after a sleep or hibernate crash.

So, this morning I performed a full clean wipe using my USB stick which contains the normal Surface Pro 2 restore image, only updated with the January (2/6/2014 Version 1.0 firmware and driver pack) driver pack. After the machine was back up and running I disabled Windows Updates, and simply used it for a while doing basic web browsing, email, and a constant barrage of sleeps and shut down cycles.... and surprisingly (and I hate to say this as I'm sure as soon as I do my next cycle will result in constant crashes!!!!:p) everything has worked properly and stable for the past 6 hours. This includes sleeping the device, waking the device with power button, waking the device with keyboard, shutting down and powering back on. Previously, through several different installs, this would all have resulted in a blank black screen by now where the windows button would vibrate when touched but nothing else would happen no matter how long I waited or how many times I tapped or held the PWR button.

Every prior reinstall I have installed all the Windows Updates immediately as well as the firmware updates once available. This time I'm running only the factory image and MS's driver/firmware pack. There are 760MBs of Windows Updates plus the Feb Firmware it wants to install, but honestly, my gut says something in them is the root of my wake/startup/crash problem. Not sure how to proceed from here, as I know I should install the updates, but not being able to wake or start the device is a deal breaker.

So, for mine it seems it's either the Feb firmware or some combination of Windows Updates. Not going to lie, terrified to start installing updates!