What's new

Trouble Playing Video in Apps

eosnead

I’m trying to find an answer to a problem with Surface Pro 2 - 256 that cannot always play the video portion of Apps. They play fine on some wireless locations but don’t play at all on others. They played normally using the wireless system at the Microsoft store and at AT&T wireless setup at a friend’s house but at other locations such as Comcast systems, Starbucks, other hot spots and at my home the video portions will not play.

Microsoft has exchanged the computer for a brand new one and their support has spent many hours on the phone trying to understand the problem but so far they haven’t been able to solve it.

Not being able to run the video portion of Apps is not a deal buster and the computer operates without problems in other areas it just seems that everything should work as advertised.

I’ve tried to understand the different video protocols in wireless transmissions but it’s a bit over my head and I’m not sure if video protocol even plays a part in wireless App transmission or if it’s related to a GSM or CDMA issue. I haven’t seen anyone else mention this problem, unless it’s just assumed there’s a problem with the Apps themselves. I also wonder if it could be some type of problem related to the protocol used in different brands of wireless routers. I tried using the Surface Docking Station with a direct Ethernet cable connection but that didn’t solve the problem.

Is there someone who understands all these complex protocols and can simplify it a bit so I might be able to narrow down the problem area?

Philtastic

Can you give us some examples of apps where the videos do and don't work? I wouldn't mind testing some myself.

Personally, I've only used the News and the CBC Sochi Olympics apps for videos on different non-public wifi networks and both have worked fine.

OP
E

eosnead

The Apps that don't run video are all the default ones that were included with Win 8.1 delivery. The Apps will run but the video portions will not run. The only other App that has been added is Netflix and it runs movies with no problems!

kozak79

"Video portions" doesn't make any sense. What videos, what apps. What format videos are you trying to open? Are you sure the App you are using supports that video format?

For instance, most of the Apps from the Microsoft Store don't support MKV encoded videos, but if you install the codec, Windows Media Player from the desktop would play it. You're not really explaining your problem.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you are referring to the Video that is included in the "Bing Apps" (News, Sports, Finance, etc.)? I'm on Comcast as well and have experienced the same issue, I believe that something on Comcast's Network blocks the embedded videos. BTW - It happens in Flipboard as well. For whatever reason when an app embeds a video into a framed webpage within the App it is getting blocked.

I know people on Verizon that experience the same issue.

GoodBytes

If your app uses IE embed to display a Flash or Silverlight video, IE blocks flash and Silverlight from loading. only HTML5 is allowed.
It has to do with the early days of Windows 8, where IE did not load any plugins for security reasons. Even Microsoft own Silverlight. You had to load the web page in your web browser of choice or IE on the desktop. Then it started with with a white list, then they allowed everything but only IE modern UI by itself would load it. If IE is embedded in an app, it wont' work.

Last edited:
OP
E

eosnead

I believe you are referring to the Video that is included in the "Bing Apps" (News, Sports, Finance, etc.)? I'm on Comcast as well and have experienced the same issue, I believe that something on Comcast's Network blocks the embedded videos. BTW - It happens in Flipboard as well. For whatever reason when an app embeds a video into a framed webpage within the App it is getting blocked.

I know people on Verizon that experience the same issue.

Thanks for the input. I was looking for a reply that tells me I'm not the only one with this problem. I hope in the future Microsoft might issue a firmware fix and enforce more control over third party developers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If your app uses IE embed to display a Flash or Silverlight video, IE blocks flash and Silverlight from loading. only HTML5 is allowed.
It has to do with the early days of Windows 8, where IE did not load any plugins for security reasons. Even Microsoft own Silverlight. You had to load the web page in your web browser of choice or IE on the desktop. Then it started with with a white list, then they allowed everything but only IE modern UI by itself would load it. If IE is embedded in an app, it wont' work.

Bing App embed Video works on some ISP and not others....YMMV

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input. I was looking for a reply that tells me I'm not the only one with this problem. I hope in the future Microsoft might issue a firmware fix and enforce more control over third party developers.

It has more to do with ISP Packet Inspection/Shaping and little to do with Microsoft...

Dim-Ize

You may not like this answer, but make sure you have latest java and flash updates and try desktop version of Chrome as alternative.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You may not like this answer, but make sure you have latest java and flash updates and try desktop version of Chrome as alternative.

That won't change the embedded videos in the Bing Apps, the Videos play correctly in IE, it impacts some Modern UI Apps that ISPs seem to be blocking these packets or headers.