What's new

Trouble Watching Videos

Sometimes my Surface 3 won't let me watch videos. If I delete cookies, check for updates and do a manual restart, that problem is usually resolved. I'm talking about simple youtube videos. Anyone know how to fix it?

OP
B

brocharlieb

I use Microsoft edge as a browser.
The problem comes whether I go to youtube or hit a link to a video.
If there is an app causing the problem, I'm not aware of it.

leeshor

I pretty much don't use Edge but I tried a few YouTube videos and didn't see any problems.

pignaz

This happened to me once: I wasn't able to see any kind of video, using browsers like Edge and Firefox or using apps like hyper for Youtube. I solved just by rebooting the device. It's quite strange.

stlbud

I've had trouble with Edge and some YouTube videos embedded in a foreign web site (i.e. If you were looking at a YouTube video on Surface Forums.) where the video remains blank unless I go to YouTube and view it. I attributed this to a privacy issue but don't know for sure. The trouble goes away with IE. It's also possible it is a video codec vs. HTML5 and the way Edge interprets the embedded vide.

leeshor

Some people seem to be able to get Edge to work with minimal issues using a host file to filter ads but personally I can do without Edge altogether.

revmike

Edge is like a step backward to me, I tried to use it, but was not worth the trouble to try to get it to do just simple things like giving me access to my favorites without trying to find them.