What's new

Trouble with Multitouch/Sleep/Bluetooth

pmueller

Dear Forum!

I just purchased a Surface RT. I have three (at least for me serious) problems with it

1.) There is no problem with the touchscreen as long as I use just one finger (like most of the time). In term I want to make a pinch to zoom in/out it takes several attempts until it reacts. I feel like it works when I move my fingers extremly fast. Trying this, it happens very often that other actions are executed (i.g. an app is opened instead of showing the overview at "start screen").

I already tried to calibrate, to update the drivers, to refresh and to reset the device. Nothing helped.

2.) In case of pushing the "power button" shortly i am used that the surface gets into a sleep mode, from which it can awake fast. But with my device it happens after some minutes that the surface doesn't even react if i push the button. Only if I push it down very long and several times and it "boots" after approx. 15-20 seconds and it shows the "SURFACE"-screen and takes quit a while to start. This happens as well in mobile use and with use of the charging device. I tried to figure out if it has something to do with energy saving options - I compared to another surface rt where everything is going "normal" and I could not find any difference.

3.) I am using a Logitech Boombox. If I pair the device via bluetooth but music is played doubled as fast. Strange.

I am afraid that I got a device with a bad quality, especially because there was some kind of delivering shortage. I feel like I should return the device because I am not willing to use a device with such annoying problems.

Before doing that I just wanted to ask you, dear forum, if you have any ideas on that?

Does anybody has experiences in the microsoft service? I am really annoyed because I had to wait that long for this device and now it is not working. And I guess returning the device it will take another extra time before getting another one.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Cheers

Philipp

oion

Dear Forum!

I just purchased a Surface RT. I have three (at least for me serious) problems with it

1.) There is no problem with the touchscreen as long as I use just one finger (like most of the time). In term I want to make a pinch to zoom in/out it takes several attempts until it reacts. I feel like it works when I move my fingers extremly fast. Trying this, it happens very often that other actions are executed (i.g. an app is opened instead of showing the overview at "start screen").

I already tried to calibrate, to update the drivers, to refresh and to reset the device. Nothing helped.

2.) In case of pushing the "power button" shortly i am used that the surface gets into a sleep mode, from which it can awake fast. But with my device it happens after some minutes that the surface doesn't even react if i push the button. Only if I push it down very long and several times and it "boots" after approx. 15-20 seconds and it shows the "SURFACE"-screen and takes quit a while to start. This happens as well in mobile use and with use of the charging device. I tried to figure out if it has something to do with energy saving options - I compared to another surface rt where everything is going "normal" and I could not find any difference.

3.) I am using a Logitech Boombox. If I pair the device via bluetooth but music is played doubled as fast. Strange.

I am afraid that I got a device with a bad quality, especially because there was some kind of delivering shortage. I feel like I should return the device because I am not willing to use a device with such annoying problems.

Before doing that I just wanted to ask you, dear forum, if you have any ideas on that?

Does anybody has experiences in the microsoft service? I am really annoyed because I had to wait that long for this device and now it is not working. And I guess returning the device it will take another extra time before getting another one.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Cheers

Philipp

(1) This could be an issue with just practice. If you're trying to zoom in/out on the Start Screen, it does seem that faster pinching works best. Make sure you place your fingers on a blank spot so you don't accidentally open an app. Index+middle finger/index finger+thumb are a common ways, but my pinch zoom method isn't normal (I use thumb and index-first-knuckle).

(2) There have been "wake" issues for various people, but that's a little difficult to diagnose. Make sure your Surface RT is fully updated; Surface RT is first generation and comes with Windows 8.0, but 8.1 was released last month. You have to make sure all previous Windows updates were installed before upgrading to 8.1 (and create a USB recovery drive first). If all the patches do not work, you can contact Microsoft for tech support.

(3) No idea, sorry.

Microsoft physical store services have a good reputation here, and their tech support is usually fine, but all tech support is "hit or mis" when outsourced. If you have a bad experience with the telephone support, hopefully you can find a Microsoft store, or call again and get someone better.

OP
P

pmueller

(1) This could be an issue with just practice. If you're trying to zoom in/out on the Start Screen, it does seem that faster pinching works best. Make sure you place your fingers on a blank spot so you don't accidentally open an app. Index+middle finger/index finger+thumb are a common ways, but my pinch zoom method isn't normal (I use thumb and index-first-knuckle).

(2) There have been "wake" issues for various people, but that's a little difficult to diagnose. Make sure your Surface RT is fully updated; Surface RT is first generation and comes with Windows 8.0, but 8.1 was released last month. You have to make sure all previous Windows updates were installed before upgrading to 8.1 (and create a USB recovery drive first). If all the patches do not work, you can contact Microsoft for tech support.

(3) No idea, sorry.

Microsoft physical store services have a good reputation here, and their tech support is usually fine, but all tech support is "hit or mis" when outsourced. If you have a bad experience with the telephone support, hopefully you can find a Microsoft store, or call again and get someone better.

Thanks for your fast Response. I have two Surface rt and i can compare the multitouch and it is definitely not a practising issue. Also of course i installed all Updates incl win 8.1...

So i guess i have to contact technsupport!

Thanks!