What's new

True IE Splitscreen Mode using "tool box" app

borka105

I've seen this app in the appstore and even mentioned here, but I never downloaded it until now.

This may be the first app I have seen in the app store that truly takes advantage of the widescreen of the Surface.

One example is to go into true splitscreen with 2 browser windows in the metro UI.

If you guys have not tried this app.. please get it now!

tonyz3

If you think that is cool try the new stardock, modernmix. You can actually have one metro app snapped and two other metro apps split for the remainder of the screen on the desktop, so 3 apps running on thirds. Than there is . Metro splitscreen browser, but toolbox is better using two browsers.

Last edited:

bosamar

Excellent app. I've only discovered it about a month ago but I'm using it often. SNAP!

J515OP

Super Moderator
If you think that is cool try the new stardock, modernmix. You can actually have one metro app snapped and two other metro apps split for the remainder of the screen on the desktop, so 3 apps running on thirds. Than there is . Metro splitscreen browser, but toolbox is better using two browsers.

I was just reading about this today. Good if you don't mind staying in desktop (which I personally don't mind).

OP
B

borka105

I cannot find the modernmix app in the app store. Is it called something else?

Are there other splitscreen browsers that you know off? I really think that this may be the first app I've downloaded that is a true game changer for the surface..every other app is just really a port of something that I can already find on my iPad.

tonyz3

It would be great if they incorp the ability to use any app in Toolbox. Also I hope that MS can put the function into where you can adjust the snap size like in toolbox. What I mean is- EXPL- when you have 2 Web pages side by side you can adjust the size of each from the bar in the middle of them. Why can't MS do that.

J515OP

Super Moderator
MS probably could but at some point they need to let the developers run with things. I don't think they have the intention of being the sole supplier of every possibility within the apps. Much like Apple and Google make a few first party apps and the rest is up to the developers. Sometimes the first party apps push the boundaries and inspire the developers and sometimes it's the other way around. We haven't seen that critical mass in the Windows app store yet but when it gets there and just having an app isn't enough it will also need to be a good app to get anywhere.

tonyz3

I'm a fan of quality over quantity. Like they say, nobody needs 100 fart apps.
I agree. a quality fart is much better than 10 non quality farts :smile: But seriously both apps above are a good start. I work on my desktop all day but I actually prefer the metro screen more so I am excited to see where it goes from here.

OP
B

borka105

A few issues I've already noticed in toolbox:

One issue I am seeing right now with the toolbox browser is that it doesn't work on some sites that have flash.

E.g, you can't play videos on ESPN.com or HBOGO like I can on the IE Browser. These are some limitations that are stopping me from using this full time.

Secondly, the broswer crashed on my 6-7 times last night because I clicked on another part of the screen while it was loading a page.