What's new

True or False: SP3 can't output 4K through HDMI 2.0 to mini DP?

kiwigirl

I was told it's an Intel HD graphics related issue and that if you want to connect the SP3 to a 4K TV that has HDMI 2.0, that you will need a SP3 with Nvidia GPU.

True?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was told it's an Intel HD graphics related issue and that if you want to connect the SP3 to a 4K TV that has HDMI 2.0, that you will need a SP3 with Nvidia GPU.

True?
False the SP3 doesn't have a SKU with an NVIDIA GPU and the SP3 supports 4K at 30Hz on most 4K monitors...

OP
K

kiwigirl

False the SP3 doesn't have a SKU with an NVIDIA GPU and the SP3 supports 4K at 30Hz on most 4K monitors...

Oh I thought SP3 had a 256GB/8GB model with Nvidia GPU?

I read online that these Intel GPU's in the SP3's can't output 4K over HDMI, only mini DP.

When I had a 4K monitor with both DP and mini DP ports, I was able to get 4K 50 from the SP3 through mini DP.

But on my Sony HDR TV now, (because it doesn't have mini DP or DP), I have it from HDMI 2.0 on the TV to a club 3D (which is one of the better and more stable convertors), HDMI 2.0 to mini DP convertor into the SP3 and it won't even display 4K at all, let alone at 4K 30.

It lets me choose 4K in the Intel settings app but it doesn't show it on the screen. Its the wierdest thing Ive ever seen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I thought SP3 had a 256GB/8GB model with Nvidia GPU?

I read online that these Intel GPU's in the SP3's can't output 4K over HDMI, only mini DP.

When I had a 4K monitor with both DP and mini DP ports, I was able to get 4K 50 from the SP3 through mini DP.

But on my Sony HDR TV now, (because it doesn't have mini DP or DP), I have it from HDMI 2.0 on the TV to a club 3D (which is one of the better and more stable convertors), HDMI 2.0 to mini DP convertor into the SP3 and it won't even display 4K at all, let alone at 4K 30.

It lets me choose 4K in the Intel settings app but it doesn't show it on the screen. Its the wierdest thing Ive ever seen.
Mini-DP to Active HDMI should work, I have the Club 3D as well but I have it found it temperamental on some TVs and Monitors. The Surface Engineering team recommends the Cable Matters gold plated Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

OP
K

kiwigirl

Mini-DP to Active HDMI should work, I have the Club 3D as well but I have it found it temperamental on some TVs and Monitors. The Surface Engineering team recommends the Cable Matters gold plated Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

I would hate to have to buy a new HDMI 2.0 cable or HDMI to mini DP adator just to get this to work.
I am using a CLUB 3D HDMI 2.0 cable as well. I would think it should be good enough.

Is this the one you are referring to?

Cable Matters Gold Plated Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Male to Female Adapter - Eyefinity Compatible: Amazon.ca: Electronics

I guess if I need it, it's worth getting. I can always return if it doesnt work.

I wouldnt think there to be much different in quality between this one and the Club 3D one.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would hate to have to buy a new HDMI 2.0 cable or HDMI to mini DP adator just to get this to work.
I am using a CLUB 3D HDMI 2.0 cable as well. I would think it should be good enough.

Is this the one you are referring to?

Cable Matters Gold Plated Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Male to Female Adapter - Eyefinity Compatible: Amazon.ca: Electronics

I guess if I need it, it's worth getting. I can always return if it doesnt work.

I wouldnt think there to be much different in quality between this one and the Club 3D one.
That is the one....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Okay thanks. So it sounds like the Cable Matters adaptor is just more comptabile than the club 3D one and that it's not nessecarily better quality.
I hope so....I have both, On my SB I can only get 4K 30Hz but on my SP4 I was able to get 4K 60Hz - I know weird...

OP
K

kiwigirl

I hope so....I have both, On my SB I can only get 4K 30Hz but on my SP4 I was able to get 4K 60Hz - I know weird...

This was from using the Cable matters adaptor? And running your connection from your SB and SP4 to your monitor/TV through mini DP to HDMI 2.0?

How were you able to get 4K 60 on your SP4? What Intel driver version are you using?

I know on my previous 4K Philips monitor, through mini DP to mini DP, I was able to get 4K 50 but I had to set a custom resolution in the Intel menu.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This was from using the Cable matters adaptor? And running your connection from your SB and SP4 to your monitor/TV through mini DP to HDMI 2.0?

How were you able to get 4K 60 on your SP4? What Intel driver version are you using?

I know on my previous 4K Philips monitor, through mini DP to mini DP, I was able to get 4K 50 but I had to set a custom resolution in the Intel menu.
When I had the SP4 it was the i7/16/512 and used the Intel 540 GMA and was able to drive 4K 60Hz, my SP3 was only able to drive 4K 30Hz. The Surface Book uses the Intel 520 GMA most of the time if you want to unattached the screen.

OP
K

kiwigirl

When I had the SP4 it was the i7/16/512 and used the Intel 540 GMA and was able to drive 4K 60Hz, my SP3 was only able to drive 4K 30Hz. The Surface Book uses the Intel 520 GMA most of the time if you want to unattached the screen.

Interesting. I don't get why MS always has to make things to complicated. Just let all Surface devices do 4K 60 and be done with it. Seriously...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I don't get why MS always has to make things to complicated. Just let all Surface devices do 4K 60 and be done with it. Seriously...
If it were only that simple: According to this Intel chart the HD 4400 graphics is capable of HDMI*: 4096 x 2304, 3840 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 24bpp . To an extent some later drivers increased those values officially or unofficially. the actual delivery of which depends highly on what the two devices negotiate and can sync on. Tiny variances in implementation while conforming more or less to the standard leaves unresolved incompatibilities. This is always the case with standards and it's frustrating when things don't work as hoped but sometimes it's amazing they work at all.

I'm sure MS would be happy to have them all do 4K/60 and be done with it but they don't actually control what the chips support.