What's new

Try this if you have Limited Connectivity issues

apoc_reg

I get very good wifi reception (3 bars) in my office with my Pro whereas I could barely get 0-1 bar reliably with my iphone and ipad so when it works I would say its very good!

bertopl

well, I got the limited connectivity again for the first time in a while since I disabled the selective suspend. still pretty livable compared to how it behaved with the feature enabled. now that people mention it, the surface does seem to take a little bit longer or more activity on the keyboard / mouse to wake up but I haven't not been able to wake it up after only a few seconds. hopefully a more appropriate solution will eventually come.

BillJ

Hmmm, I have been getting limited wifi while on my home network again on a fairly frequent and annoyingly regular basis. However, I am in NYC for the weekend now, and while working off the hotel's public wifi, my Surface has not had a single problem with wifi, either in speed or connectivity.
My home network SSID's have both 2.5 and 5 gigahertz, and I have a repeater that doesn't seem to bother any other device.
When I get back home I am going to try disabling the repeater.

N.G.

Anybody tested reenabling Selective Suspend with today's limited connectivity fix? I am having issues, but there is a cable company service truck in the neighborhood, so probably Mediacom again.

DOTTAT

I had the updates install on Tues no prob. Surfing was fine tonight until I tried to download a file via internet explorer. I did save as and wanted to save the file to a network path. As soon as I clicked on the network PC I wanted to save it to.....bam. Limited. Pretty much makes sp unreliable

N.G.

I had the updates install on Tues no prob. Surfing was fine tonight until I tried to download a file via internet explorer. I did save as and wanted to save the file to a network path. As soon as I clicked on the network PC I wanted to save it to.....bam. Limited. Pretty much makes sp unreliable
So, do you have Selective Suspend disabled or enabled? I have it disabled, and don't think connectivity is better after the update, might be worse.

paesan

Yeah this limited connection problem has now gone on long enough. MS better come up with a fix because what good is the SP without a reliable wifi internet connection. I can't believe that this has gone on for so long. I have tried all the so called fixes and none work!!!!!

BillJ

I agree that it is well past time for a fix to this. I called MS customer service last week, and I encountered a representative who did not seem too be very concerned ("just disconnect and reconnect- not so hard, is it?"
Is there any way to elevate this to a higher priority?

N.G.

I agree that it is well past time for a fix to this. I called MS customer service last week, and I encountered a representative who did not seem too be very concerned ("just disconnect and reconnect- not so hard, is it?"
Is there any way to elevate this to a higher priority?
Yeah, trivial. I had a MS guy at the store tell me to delete the network and let it find it again and re enter the password... Every 5 minutes, although to be honest, since I found the disable Selective Suspend option, here, it has been only every few hours. Now I just go do something else for a while. Good thing I am not worried about productivity.

tonyz3

Yeah this limited connection problem has now gone on long enough. MS better come up with a fix because what good is the SP without a reliable wifi internet connection. I can't believe that this has gone on for so long. I have tried all the so called fixes and none work!!!!!
Just remember these fixes are not from MS. Also this problem is not encountered by everyone. That being said it is happening to alot of people at least here and i believe MS is working on it. Doesnt make it less annoying for you until it works correctly.

N.G.

Just remember these fixes are not from MS. Also this problem is not encountered by everyone. That being said it is happening to alot of people at least here and i believe MS is working on it. Doesnt make it less annoying for you until it works correctly.

Tony, Two of these "fixes" were, in fact from MS - the irritating ones. I guess I think there is a problem that the one that does something useful, disabling selective suspend, is not from MS. FWIW, I'm have a Kindle Fire 8.9 4G which had similar problems initially, now long gone. Amazon was A LOT more involved in helping its customers work around the problem, while they were working on the SW fixes. The "disable SS" fix is the only thing I've seen on any board that helps, and I've only seen it here - not a word from MS. I wondered if the 9 Apr update should have us reenabling SS, but of course, no word from MS. MS has been dependent on HW manufacturers to handle this kind of problem (not that many of them do it well), they-MS aren't up to speed, IMHO. The SP is still the best tablet available, IMHO.