What's new

Trying to do a refresh! not enough room???

fastfed

I swear, I have almost no apps installed, yet only have 4 gigs of free space on my 32gb Surface 2

it says I need to have at least 6gb free.

Well, how can I get more room? where in the world is all the space being taken up from?

OP
F

fastfed

Thanks, I tried that before, it took a whole whopping 150 megs off.

WTF is eating all of this space? I checked everywhere, I'm at a loss.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Something sounds amiss, did reboot after clean up? I'm going to assume you've removed all personal data, docs, music, pictures and videos? You can check App sizes in the Modern UI Settings. Games can take up a lot of space.

OP
F

fastfed

Something sounds amiss, did reboot after clean up? I'm going to assume you've removed all personal data, docs, music, pictures and videos? You can check App sizes in the Modern UI Settings. Games can take up a lot of space.

Something is amiss.
I have no aftermarket app, no movies or videos or pictures.
NOTHING.

and only 4 gigs free now.

WTF

OP
F

fastfed

what about my skydrive??? I go into the folder and I have a ton of stuff in there, pictures.

but that should be only web based right?? It says size 19gb, size on disk 2.11gb

kristalsoldier

what about my skydrive??? I go into the folder and I have a ton of stuff in there, pictures.

but that should be only web based right?? It says size 19gb, size on disk 2.11gb

Actually, check if you have your entire Skydrive folder enabled to work offline. If your SkyDrive folder and its contents are large in number and size, that potentially could be a problem (though I think it would be unlikely).

daniielrp

Thanks, I tried that before, it took a whole whopping 150 megs off.

WTF is eating all of this space? I checked everywhere, I'm at a loss.

Just to check, did you let disk cleanup run and finish, then re-run it again including System Files?

Last edited:
OP
F

fastfed

Just to check, did you let disk cleanup run and finish, then re-run it again including System Files?

YES!! something is SERIOUSLY!!! WRONG!!
And I'm not happy! I swear, I have NO apps installed, no files (except Skydrive and its not checked for offline) so WTF!

Why is it so hard to find out where my files are

daniielrp

Are you running 8.1?

If so go to Change PC Settings>Search and apps>App Sizes and check how much space this is showing as available.

And random as it sounds, there's not anything in your recycle bin is there?

Dewg

You can try to find an app for disk space that will graphically show you your C drive.

You can also manually look. Open This PC on your desktop. Go to C. Then right click on each folder and choose Properties. It will show you how large that folder is. Try to find the folder taking up all the room, the drill down and repeat for the subfolders until you fond it.