What's new

Trying to install a printer

yeewiz

I go to Devices and Printers, then click Add a printer. I get to the Install the printer driver page and click Windows Update to try to find the OKI MC160n model. After a few seconds, I get the message, "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update. Please try again later."

I try to install a HP 4L, I click Windows Update to try to find the HP 4L printer, which I know exists. After a few seconds, I get the message, "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update. Please try again later."

What's up with the error message? Anybody have any ideas or success here? Thanks

OP
Y

yeewiz

The OKI 160 is listed as "no information" and the HP 4L is "not compatible". BUT my question is why can't I get the Windows Update button to retrieve the rest of the OKI and HP printer models. In other words, has anyone had success with the Windows Update button in the Install a printer screen?

Rodimus

Got to driver view, but no luck

The OKI 160 is listed as "no information" and the HP 4L is "not compatible". BUT my question is why can't I get the Windows Update button to retrieve the rest of the OKI and HP printer models. In other words, has anyone had success with the Windows Update button in the Install a printer screen?

I didn't get any drivers retrieved when I first tried to install as well. But tried again recently and got the list. Available Oki driver list is very small. No 160n available. I tried installing the Oki PCL6 driver recommended by Oki - not really any better. Now tries to print, but printer queue just says "Printer Error".

gpstrucker

Wow, I just plugged my wireless printer into the usb port and the Surface automatically downloaded the drivers. Quick and easy wireless printing. Is a Canon 410.

OP
Y

yeewiz

I tried installing the Oki PCL6 driver recommended by Oki ... but printer queue just says "Printer Error".

Rodimus, nice to know the Update button now works. Unfortunately, that printer error was what I got too. Wonder why OKI said it worked?