What's new

Trying to put a SP2 package together, need some advise.

dannieboiz

I'm looking at the SP2 256gb version due to the extra 8gb of ram. but the accessories are what I'm concerned.

USB ethernet adapter- neither the docking station or the USB adapter are GB, anyone have experience with 3rd party USB Ethernet adapter?

the lack of future proofing w/o 802.11ac is pretty annoying. I'm also looking at the HP Spectre x2 as an alternatives. Any of you wish you've gone to other devices?

I plan on testing this device out and eventually provide them to a few users as a desktop replacement. So they can be mobile and dock it in the office.

Last edited:

wditters

Kanex DualRole, 3x USB 3.0 + Gigabit Ethernet directly from Kanex or
Startech USB31000SPTB or USB31000SPTW ... This Gigabit Ethernet adapter cleverly does USB 3.0 pass through

OP
D

dannieboiz

Kanex DualRole, 3x USB 3.0 + Gigabit Ethernet directly from Kanex or
Startech USB31000SPTB or USB31000SPTW ... This Gigabit Ethernet adapter cleverly does USB 3.0 pass through

Thanks, I like the Kanex DualRole which I'll add to my shopping list.

How about the Mini Display port to HDMI? The M$ one is $40 which is absurd. Do I need an adapter or can I just use something like the link below?

Amazon.com : C&E Mini_Dis-HDMI-CB6 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable, 6 feet : Electronics

benjitek

Sounds like your users would be best off if there were a docking station where they do the bulk of their work. As far as useful accessories, The wireless keyboard adapter is amazingly useful and I just today received the Surface Arc Touch Mouse -- another useful addition.

OP
D

dannieboiz

Yes, a docking station would definitely be provided for the users. I'm not strapped to a desk so USB - Ethernet is for my to keep in my bag.

BTW: All of the users already have a keyboard/mouse for their existing system. I think some of them would rather keep those on their desk. But for mobile I've decided on the Type 2 KB over the touch. I can't stand typing and not feeling the keys go down.

Also the wireless adapter sound like a great addition especially when you're sitting on the plane. I just don't think I can justify expensing that :D

Last edited:

benjitek

Also the wireless adapter sound like a great addition especially when you're sitting on the plane. I just don't think I can justify expensing that :D
That's too bad, it's a great little gizmo -- except that it doesn't hold a charge very long. They opted for the cheaper NiMH battery instead of lithium ion, surprising given it's priced as though it were stuffed with gold. Useful until it discharges mid-day. About 6-8 hours of continuous use.

OP
D

dannieboiz

That's too bad, it's a great little gizmo -- except that it doesn't hold a charge very long. They opted for the cheaper NiMH battery instead of lithium ion, surprising given it's priced as though it were stuffed with gold. Useful until it discharges mid-day. About 6-8 hours of continuous use.

I can always jump through a few hoops and use my apple wireless keyboard with the SP2 if needed. lol

benjitek

I can always jump through a few hoops and use my apple wireless keyboard with the SP2 if needed. lol
Yep... and the reverse is also true. I didn't realize it until after I got it, but it turns your type/touch cover into a standard Bluetooth keyboard -- for some reason I thought it was proprietary-wireless. I'm using my type-cover-2-keyboard with my iPad and Apple TV :)

al2fast

Thanks, I like the Kanex DualRole which I'll add to my shopping list.

How about the Mini Display port to HDMI? The M$ one is $40 which is absurd. Do I need an adapter or can I just use something like the link below?

Amazon.com : C&E Mini_Dis-HDMI-CB6 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable, 6 feet : Electronics

I got a mini display to hdmi adapter from monoprice for $9 shipped, 6ft long works great.

I've been eyeballing win8 tablets for months. I don't think there is another device that compares. The surface arc mouse with Bluetooth is nice. Just wish that you could silence the clicking sound it makes when scrolling, like simulating the clicking sound a wheel mouse would make when scrolling. I hear the apple magic mouse works good too, you just need to download drivers I think. I don't own one to test.

I had the touch cover 1 and now have the type cover 2 and I like it much better. I guess you could go to a MS store or a best buy and try them out. I don't have problems typing on my lap with the type cover, dont think you would with the touch cover either, I think the 2nd position of the kickstand makes the biggest difference for that.

GoodBytes

All official accessories, whether be from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Apple, are all 40$. They basically charge a premium price to have the adapter look nice and sleek when attached to the system.
Like it will be the same black, with the angled cut (in this case) so that it you don't see the metal of the plug, and all that stuff.

That's about it. You can argue that the quality is better or if you prefer: 'sure to be good', and it is.
But at the end of the day, its up to you to see if its worth the premium or not.

OP
D

dannieboiz

I got a mini display to hdmi adapter from monoprice for $9 shipped, 6ft long works great.

I've been eyeballing win8 tablets for months. I don't think there is another device that compares. The surface arc mouse with Bluetooth is nice. Just wish that you could silence the clicking sound it makes when scrolling, like simulating the clicking sound a wheel mouse would make when scrolling. I hear the apple magic mouse works good too, you just need to download drivers I think. I don't own one to test.

I had the touch cover 1 and now have the type cover 2 and I like it much better. I guess you could go to a MS store or a best buy and try them out. I don't have problems typing on my lap with the type cover, dont think you would with the touch cover either, I think the 2nd position of the kickstand makes the biggest difference for that.

Is the adapter a required component it looks like it's just a converter from Mini DP to an HDMI female and I would still need a standard HDMI cable to the display. Can I use the Mini Displayport to HDMI cable like the one I posted in the previous post without the need to buy the adapter?