What's new

TSA says SP4 is a laptop, not a tablet ...

MaxBuck

Simply that. I've had to remove the Surface Pro from my carry-on bags three times now. TSA reps have said if there's a keyboard attached, they call it a laptop. Bummer.

jrioux

I started running into this with my SP3 over a year ago, though it seems to vary from airport to airport.

Afy

Here in the EU we have to pull all electronics out of the bag, laptops, hybrids, tablets, phones et al.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simply that. I've had to remove the Surface Pro from my carry-on bags three times now. TSA reps have said if there's a keyboard attached, they call it a laptop. Bummer.

So i[ads are also laptops? Or is it a case of one rule for this, one rule for that.

leeshor

Sorta funny story:
In 1988 I had a monstrously heavy orange gas plasma display Toshiba laptop. Being a firm believer in surge suppression back then I had a round sure suppressor on the end of the cable. That was my standard operating configuration. The laptop was auto voltage even back then.

My boss asked to borrow that laptop for a trip to Germany so I said sure, no problem. When he got to the Paris airport, (remember this is 1988) security made him take it out of the bag and they wanted to see it plugged in and operating. The only outlet they could find was at the Pan Am ticketing counter. When he plugged it in he blew the circuit that ran all the reservation/ticking system in the entire Pan Am counter. He forgot to take the surge suppressor off. Needless to say it was NOT auto voltage switching. Security was so upset they sent him on his way but the people at the counter were frantic and so was he.

He called me that night and said he may have burned up my laptop. When he told me what happened I asked him to remove the surge and it powered up just fine. Even then they made some people prove it was really a laptop but I think some of the security people hadn't actually seen one before. ;)

eransays

Had no problems taking mine through tsa last week in my bag with the keyboard attached.

The keyboard should have nothing to do with it. It's laptops with removable batteries that need to be taken out of the bag.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk