What's new

Turn off screen??

New2ToMe

Hi, I am using an external monitor, mouse and keyboard via USB with duplicated displays set.

Is there a keyboard method of turning off the small screen?

I have it to the side and sometimes need to use the stylus, but other than that I'd like the small screen off. I'd like to be able to turn it on/off when I need it instead of having to go through the Screen Resolution thing for "Monitor 2 only."

Thank you.

OP
N

New2ToMe

Thanks, I was aware of that and it is typical msoft programming. Cumbersome, confusing and damned awful to use.

I was asking for something that pretty much laptops have had for many years.

Fn+F7 on my Acer laptop turns the **laptop** screen on and off, same for Lenovo laptop except it is Fn+F6. No extra things to click and verify. The external monitor is immune to the control which is exactly what I wanted of the SP2.

After just 7-days, the honeymoon is already over, it seems.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I was aware of that and it is typical msoft programming. Cumbersome, confusing and damned awful to use.

I was asking for something that pretty much laptops have had for many years.

Fn+F7 on my Acer laptop turns the **laptop** screen on and off, same for Lenovo laptop except it is Fn+F6. No extra things to click and verify. The external monitor is immune to the control which is exactly what I wanted of the SP2.

After just 7-days, the honeymoon is already over, it seems.
Hmmmm....Windows+P and select is instant and requires no confirmation....and unlike the OEM's Keyboard Shortcut Keys it works on every Windows Machine.

jefhart

Are you seriously saying that having to perform those 3 mouse clicks ruins the entire experience for you?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, I haven't used this but found it searching... you might give it a try... not sure it would work outside the Desktop.

Philtastic

Uh, so Fn+F7 on the Type keyboard does mostly the same thing except you have to click "project" and select what screen combo you want.

OP
N

New2ToMe

OK, enough of the sarcasm, try it. When you go forward it is almost tolerable, when going back to the second screen it sucks. If you do not have a second screen attached using a USB - HDMI adapter, then I doubt you can make constructive comments.

Philtastic

Is it much different than using a mDP->VGA adaptor? Because it works pretty great with one of those. Granted, I've never used the USB port for video out (and I can't see why anyone would given DP or VGA or HDMI or DVI or mHDMI or mDP on most desktops and laptops and even tablets) but, given the option to use the mDP, you've only got yourself to blame if USB video out works terribly compared to all of the much more standard video output ports.

Edit: If I had to guess why USB video out would be worse than the dedicated video ports, it would possibly be due to an extra driver layer to pump video out of USB which may not work the same way as through the dedicated ports.