What's new

Turn Screen, Touch Input off with Power Button

advhound

What is the best way to turn the screen and touch input off with the power button? I am looking for the power button to act like a tablet or a smartphone. It is surprising the option to turn off the screen by pushing the power button is not an option in the advanced power options. This would make the Surface a lot more practical as a tablet. Turning the screen off after "x" minutes is not really helpful because the touch input is still enabled and in practical use, you want to turn the screen off and walk to the other room, listening to music etc. immediately, not after the screen has timed out. This would also conserve battery.

Last edited:

bluegrass

I know what you're talking about. I shut the screen off of my Nokia Windows 8 phone with the power button. I prefer to leave the touch screen on all the time even when I'm using an external mouse and keyboard so it doesn't bother me. As a matter of fact I don't know how to turn the touch screen off in any way. This is a different beast. I think you'll need to work on living with it. Sorry.

wwyama

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, but through the device manager, you can disable touch and pen input (they're separate devices).

OP
A

advhound

I want to have the power button turn off the screen and touch input and keep the computer running as opposed to putting the computer to sleep. Basically want it to behave like a smartphone or tablet.