What's new

Solved Turning Off Notifications in Windows 8.1

jaekqubp

Hi everybody,
I have Surface Pro 1 running Windows 8.1. It seems that when I turn off system notifications (the toast pop up notifications), they are always enabled upon reboot.

I have disabled notifications through PC Settings > Search and Apps > Notifications > turning off "app notifications" toggle. Additionally, I have attempted to disable all notifications by way of the per-app settings below. Regardless, notifications are turned back on upon reboot. Incidentally, I have a notebook PC which also runs Windows 8.1, and honors the setting, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if there is some sort of work-around.
Has anybody else experienced this, and if so how did you resolve it?

Any response is appreciated. Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id guess the setting in the registry isn't getting saved back to your user account from current user.
Check
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PushNotifications
When ToastNotifications are disabled you should have entries for
LockScreenToastEnabled REG_Dword 0x00000000 (0)
ToastEnabled REG_Dword 0x00000000 (0)

Toast1.PNG

I would expect these are missing after a reboot.

Assuming you are the only user check
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PushNotifications
if those settings are missing here add them.

OP
J

jaekqubp

Hi GreyFox7,

Thanks much for your reply. I changed these registry settings, and upon rebooting, they are back to the way they are. In addition, upon rebooting, my wifi is broken. This may or may not be related, but device manager shows Device status as: "This device is nojt working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). Object Name already exists."

Hopefully I didn't screw anything up digging around in the registry. I will keep tinkering around with it, and post an update if I figure it out.

Thanks again for your help.

OP
J

jaekqubp

To those that come across this post searching for a resolution to the same problem, as it turns out, this issue had to due with secure boot settings. To resolve it, I had to boot into recovery, UEFI settings, enable secure boot and install trusted keys. Interestingly, this was disabled some time ago in order to run a live flash drive, and the issue just popped up now after fooling around with the system registry. Perhaps it is all just coincidental. In any case, I hope that this may be helpful to whomever stumbles across it looking for answers.

In regard to the notifications matter outlined in the initial post, the push notification settings are still not being honored on reboot, so I will keep fooling around with it until I figure it out.

Thanks.

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). Object Name already exists."

OP
J

jaekqubp

That is what happens, surely. Haha. Well, the problem that was originally presented is not yet solved, however the problem caused in trying to resolve the initial problem is solved. I'll post an update here if I figure anything else out with the notifications issue. In the scope of things, I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

That's what happens when you fiddle then forget you fiddled. ;)

Marked solved