What's new

Solved Two problems I have with my 6 month SB2

Gizmo2005

I have the Core i5/8gb/256gb ssd model.

The two consistent problem I have are these. Please help me solve them before I bring it into the Microsoft store at my local mall. Both are wifi related.

1. Wifi detection. I have 100mb cable service in my house. We are a family of 3 and we don't stream a whole lot. But when I do a SpeedTest on my SB2, I'm getting around 30mbps. My nVidia Shield, which serves as my main entertainment device can pick up the 100mbps. But it's wired so I get it that it picks up the full amount. I get that you lose some speed going through wifi. But even on the 5ghz, I'm getting less than half. That's poor.

2. I bring my SB2 to work every day, then bring it home. Every other day, when I bring it to my work in the morning, I can't connect to Wifi. It's connected, but I don't have internet. Vice versa. When I go home, it's the same. I have to restart it each time. After that, it works fine.

I have to believe it's in the settings? Can anyone offer some insight?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any pending updates? What type of Router are you using? Are you using any 3rd Party A/V?

With my SB2 I get the full 120 Mbps download on my 5GHz network, I'm using the Netgear Orbi Mesh System.

My Driver Version for my WiFi is -

upload_2018-9-10_14-25-53.png

OP
G

Gizmo2005

I have the same driver version as you. I have a NetGear at home although I don't have a model number. But it's high end with 6-8 antennas. I am work right now. I believe we have a Sonicwall in ceiling router. I just ran a test on my LG V20 phone. On Speedtest, it got 24.63mbps down/31.71 up. I just restarted my SB2 and ran it again. I got 6.10/7.37. That's not acceptable.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same driver version as you. I have a NetGear at home although I don't have a model number. But it's high end with 6-8 antennas. I am work right now. I believe we have a Sonicwall in ceiling router. I just ran a test on my LG V20 phone. On Speedtest, it got 24.63mbps down/31.71 up. I just restarted my SB2 and ran it again. I got 6.10/7.37. That's not acceptable.
Here at work on 2.4GHz (50Mbps Synchronist) I'm getting -

upload_2018-9-10_15-18-21.png

Are you using any 3rd Party A/V or Security on the SB2 itself? Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Nod32, etc. ?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Your workplace may be using a VPN. If so, you may need to uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" setting. If indeed a VPN is being used, your computer will reconnect to your home network, but you will not have internet access until you restart.

OP
G

Gizmo2005

Do not have any 3rd party AV. I do run NORD Vpn but it's not on when I do the test. When I turn that on, it's even slower, which is expected. Where do I uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network"? Is that in device manager or network settings?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If you are indeed using a VPN at the workplace, find out its name.

Then, to keep that VPN's connection different than your connection at home, start PowerShell, and use this command
Code:
Set-VpnConnection -Name "myVPN" -SplitTunneling $True
(substitute myVPN with the name of your VPN"

Then use command
Code:
exit

To revert this setting, change $True to $False.

Let us know if this helps.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Gizmo2005 ,

This is probably obvious, but have you tried changing your 2.4 GHz channel to 6 or 11 ? These channels do not overlap with other channels. If you live close to neighboring routers, or even a crowded Bluetooth environment, you may be having interference. If your router does automatic connection leveling, that could explain why even the 5GHz throughput is slow.

OP
G

Gizmo2005

I'll change that tonight. The Netgear model I have is the Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-band. So I have a couple of 5ghz channels as well. Do I do anything with those? Most of the time when Im at home, I'm normally connected on the 2.4.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The 5GHz signal usually has a short range, so no need to change those frequencies, for now.

Cuchulainn

I'll change that tonight. The Netgear model I have is the Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-band. So I have a couple of 5ghz channels as well. Do I do anything with those? Most of the time when Im at home, I'm normally connected on the 2.4.

Definitely try the 5ghz channels. I don't know if Netgear has finally fixed the issue, but I returned mine because, among other issues, they had a buggy 2.4ghz channel. I also didn't feel it had very good range through my home and that the bandwidth degraded quickly.

I recently switched to Eero and where I was struggling to get around 50gbs or so, I have a dramatic improvement.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    43.3 KB · Views: 484