What's new

Two problems with Windows 8.1

Arizona Willie

First problem, both on my Surface Pro using a bluetooth mouse and on my desktop with a Microsoft wireless mouse, mouseclicks and touches are often ignored.

Sometimes it takes MANY clicks or touches to make it work and sometimes it won't work at all. PERIOD.

Other problem is that in Metro mode when I need to enter data in a text input box, the keyboard WILL NOT pop up when touching / clicking in the text box.
It is necessary to bring up the charms on the right side and click / touch about 4 or 5 times to get an onscreen keyboard to come up.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Has anyone found a way to fix this?

CrippsCorner

I've had the keyboard thing a few times (both ways round) on Windows 8... I just rebooted, and all was fine. Obviously that's not the answer you're after though, I don't know why it happens.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

It appears that mouseclicks and touches are being ignored because the processor is maxed out, running at 100%.
If I wait a few minutes the click / touch works ( sometimes ) othertimes I reckon I give up too soon and / or get too pissed off to wait.
I believe something is causing the CPU to run at 100% so it is too busy to accept the click / touch.

beman39

why is your cpu running at 100% as that doesn't sound normal, also is that happening on your desktop or Surface as I'm not sure which you're referring to...but just incase you're referring to your Surface it shouldn't be doing that at all. the only time my keyboard will not pop up is when I have to enter something on the internet like in the search field of google and I have to manually bring up the keyboard (which I find annoying and wish it was automatic) now if that is constantly happening on the desktop then you might have a virus stealing all your CPU process and hence the keyboard/mouse problems....

oion

It appears that mouseclicks and touches are being ignored because the processor is maxed out, running at 100%.
If I wait a few minutes the click / touch works ( sometimes ) othertimes I reckon I give up too soon and / or get too pissed off to wait.
I believe something is causing the CPU to run at 100% so it is too busy to accept the click / touch.

What does Task Manager say? You have to get into Task Manager and select the "more details" option at the bottom of the window now to see individual processes.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I am experiencing ignored mouse clicks / touches on both the Surface and the Desktop ( not touches on the desktop though just clicks ) since 8.1 as well as my Search no longer working. I see a lot of people are having trouble with search.

I suspect the CPU is maxing out because, frequently, when I click and nothing happens if I just wait long enough the click finally takes -- sometimes if I don't give up.
Since the click / touch does ( usually ) finally get honored I figured it must be a busy CPU.

So now I'm looking for a CPU meter I can run on my second monitor on the desktop to watch and see what happens with the CPU when a click gets ignored by the desktop.
==========

why is your cpu running at 100% as that doesn't sound normal, also is that happening on your desktop or Surface as I'm not sure which you're referring to...but just incase you're referring to your Surface it shouldn't be doing that at all. the only time my keyboard will not pop up is when I have to enter something on the internet like in the search field of google and I have to manually bring up the keyboard (which I find annoying and wish it was automatic) now if that is constantly happening on the desktop then you might have a virus stealing all your CPU process and hence the keyboard/mouse problems....

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well, since the problem is ignored / delayed mouse clicks that makes it difficult to click on the Task Manager :eek:

I have replaced the batteries in both meeses just to make sure a weak battery isn't causing the problem. Still had ignored / delayed touches on the Surface this morning. Mouse batteries wouldn't affect touches so that furthers my suspicions about CPU being too busy.

What does Task Manager say? You have to get into Task Manager and select the "more details" option at the bottom of the window now to see individual processes.

oion

Well, since the problem is ignored / delayed mouse clicks that makes it difficult to click on the Task Manager :eek:

I have replaced the batteries in both meeses just to make sure a weak battery isn't causing the problem. Still had ignored / delayed touches on the Surface this morning. Mouse batteries wouldn't affect touches so that furthers my suspicions about CPU being too busy.

Heh, good point. :p ("Meeses" lol)

Do you have a USB mouse lying around, perchance? I wonder if disabling both wireless and bluetooth might help a little, at least enough to get to the task manager. Something else to try is to roll back to 8.0 and try the 8.1 upgrade again, in case the upgrade was corrupted. Doesn't sound like a hardware problem since I assume it started only with 8.1, at least.

Random weirdness:
High CPU usage in Windows 8.1, task manager does not show the guilty process - Stack Overflow
Windows 8.1: CPU always runs 100% - Page 3

kristalsoldier

Well, I would modify the title of this post...

I think there are still a number of very rough edges - just going by my experience and from the little that I have read on online forums, this one included - with the 8.1 update.

In addition to what the OP points out - though luckily I don't seem to have the same issues, I would say that (1) the Mail App is problematic; (2) the Auto-Rotate locks is somehow partially functional; (3) the Trackpad app is non-functional.

This is what I have found in the first 24 hours of ownership. I just hope nothing more catastrophic turns up. I really want to get on with working with the Surface (particularly in light of my impending overseas trip)!!!!

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I started Task Manager and had the CPU info showing and moved it to my 2nd monitor and was then using the desktop and when a mouse click didn't work, the CPU usage DID NOT go to 100% ... it was nice and low.

So, something else is the problem.

Since it happens both with mouse clicks and touches, and on both my desktop and Surface Pro I don't think it is my meeses. The operate normally except when they don't.

Yep, it did start with 8.1

I also lost Search because Registry Mechanic screwed the pooch and people who use it discovered it is NOT 8.1 compatible. It messes up Search somehow so that Searching in Explorer or Outlook and Indexing do not work anymore. I tried restoring a Restore Point from the 16th but it didn't fix it.

Don't know how to re-install 8.1. It just came in automatically and I don't know where / if it was stored on this computer.
Re-installing 8.1 < MIGHT > fix it.

Heh, good point. :p ("Meeses" lol)

Do you have a USB mouse lying around, perchance? I wonder if disabling both wireless and bluetooth might help a little, at least enough to get to the task manager. Something else to try is to roll back to 8.0 and try the 8.1 upgrade again, in case the upgrade was corrupted. Doesn't sound like a hardware problem since I assume it started only with 8.1, at least.

Random weirdness:
High CPU usage in Windows 8.1, task manager does not show the guilty process - Stack Overflow
Windows 8.1: CPU always runs 100% - Page 3