What's new

Two step google authentication

macintosh

I can't seem to add my google account - gmail/contacts etc.

it works fine on my windows phone 7, using application specific password.

OP
macintosh

macintosh

oh its seems to work now - ignore me :)
but you need the applification specific password - the 16 random characters you generate

schwalls

Hi!
I haven't managed to use my gmail account yet, and I guess it is due to the 2-step authentication process.
What do you mean by the 16 random characters? My Google authenticator app generates 6-digit passwords. But the Surface doesn't ask for this code anyway.

kryten22uk

I can't remember any issues with gmail. I just entered my address and password into the Mail app, and now gmail appears as well as my hotmail.

leeshor

I can't remember any issues with gmail. I just entered my address and password into the Mail app, and now gmail appears as well as my hotmail.

If my mind serves me correctly the 2 step authentication should be optional for added security.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
If my mind serves me correctly the 2 step authentication should be optional for added security.

Yes, it is optional. If you are using it in association with an application (like an email client) you must go to a website and get an application specific password as the OP pointed out. Otherwise it will not work.

OP
macintosh

macintosh

google 2 set authentication and application specific password

when you get to the account setting page on google - in browser, you have to generate a code - assign an id (anything but probably "my surface rt")
then use that to log in.

i had to do the same on windows phone