What's new

Type Cover 2 died :(

lparsons21

I don't use it much, but today I needed it to respond in a forum and the onscreen keyboard would just pop up and go away no matter what I did.

Connected the TC2, no mouse indication, no keyboard response though the backlight came on just fine.

Looked in Device Manager and it doesn't show up. So I set up for an advanced exchange for one (hopefully they actually have some). I hope this is just a one-off issue.

OP
L

lparsons21

Interesting...

Got the replacement Type Cover 2 yesterday, attached it and it wouldn't work either. Did a power switch/vol up reset and then it did. Then reattached the old one and it worked too.

I could swear I tried that reset before I asked for the replacement. Oh well, glad it is now working and hope it hangs in there.

MickeyLittle

Great news. Do you mind sharing exactly how to do the power/vol up reset? Such as do you do this while the Surface is on etc...

OP
L

lparsons21

I powered the Surface down first, don't know if that is required.

then held the vol up and pressed the power switch and then released when the 'Surface' logo showed up. Took me into BIOS and I just exited from that for a full reboot. Didn't make any changes and all was good.

Hope that helps.

MickeyLittle

I powered the Surface down first, don't know if that is required.

then held the vol up and pressed the power switch and then released when the 'Surface' logo showed up. Took me into BIOS and I just exited from that for a full reboot. Didn't make any changes and all was good.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I wondered how to do that.