What's new

Type Cover 2 is unreliable

train_depot

Had the SP2 for a few days now but the Type Cover 2 only seems to work about half the time you attach it. :mad: Fiddling around making sure it's securely seated doesn't make any difference. You have to completely detach and reattach it to get it working again. Any ideas?

I doubt the SP2 itself is the problem because after 2 days that died completely and the MS Store swapped it out for a new one.

daniielrp

I also noticed this sometimes but with mine it is that if I attach the cover while the device is in standby, it sometimes will not pick up the trackpad, but the keyboard keys type fine :S

Again I have to do same as you, just detach and then re-attach and it works then, hopefully something a firmware update will fix.

oion

My Type 2 has been completely reliable.

Perhaps if we figured out the exact order in which people connected and disconnected the keyboard and what state the Surface was in, we can pin down where the bug might be. For example, I always remove the keyboard only when my Surface is on and running something, and I always reattach before I put the tablet to sleep because I use the keyboard itself as the sleep switch.

kristalsoldier

Actually, I have noticed a small issue with the Type Cover too. Oh it works fine etc. Some sometimes, when I shut the cover and walk around with it, then when I open it up again, sometimes, it won't work and I have to take it off and put it back again. Over the last 48 hours or so, this has happened only twice though.

CrownSeven

Probably an issue relating to bluetooth. Don't forget the covers connect to the surface using bluetooth tech. My guess is since its using the new bluetooth 4.0 tech, their still ironing out all the wrinkles relating to power saving features.

kristalsoldier

Probably an issue relating to bluetooth. Don't forget the covers connect to the surface using bluetooth tech. My guess is since its using the new bluetooth 4.0 tech, their still ironing out all the wrinkles relating to power saving features.

Oh? If that is the case then I guess (and hope) that it is not dependent on the BT switch in PC Settings, because I have turned mine off after my Wedge Mouse broke last evening!

DavidV

Strange, I have not noticed any issues with the cover even when I open and close it with CPU/RAM intensive programs running (Propellerhead Reason 7, PS CS, AI CS, etc.). Maybe some of the covers are defective?

bertopl

the new covers are bluetooth now?

oion

No, this is can't be true.

The keyboards require a physical connection for the power transfer to work, so why add an additional chip/controller for bluetooth pairing at the same time when you can use that physical connection? It makes absolutely no sense to make the Touch/Type (either gen) bluetooth.

And on top of that--think about this--if the keyboard covers connect by bluetooth, why would Microsoft sell a separate bluetooth adapater?

CrownSeven

DOH! You are right. Forgot about the accessory to make them wireless. Never mind :cool2:
No, this is can't be true.

The keyboards require a physical connection for the power transfer to work, so why add an additional chip/controller for bluetooth pairing at the same time when you can use that physical connection? It makes absolutely no sense to make the Touch/Type (either gen) bluetooth.

And on top of that--think about this--if the keyboard covers connect by bluetooth, why would Microsoft sell a separate bluetooth adapater?