What's new

Type Cover 2 is unreliable

My Type 2 has been completely reliable.

Perhaps if we figured out the exact order in which people connected and disconnected the keyboard and what state the Surface was in, we can pin down where the bug might be. For example, I always remove the keyboard only when my Surface is on and running something, and I always reattach before I put the tablet to sleep because I use the keyboard itself as the sleep switch.

On that note, has anyone else noticed that if you disconnect headphones while the device is sleeping, when you wake it it won't play audio until you reconnect and disconnect the headphones again?

oion

DOH! You are right. Forgot about the accessory to make them wireless. Never mind :cool2:

;)

On that note, has anyone else noticed that if you disconnect headphones while the device is sleeping, when you wake it it won't play audio until you reconnect and disconnect the headphones again?

I have to fight a clamshell blister pack* to get my new headphones out, but I'll see if that happens. Along with various sleep configurations for the keyboard.

*Whoever invented these horrible clamshell blister packs should be flayed alive.

mjgerrard

I have a similar problem, but doesn't seem to involve sleep. The SP2 always plays through the speakers. Eventually, after one or two plugging in attempts, or clicking the sound icon in the taskbar then speakers, the headphones play audio.

Elusive

I'm not having the best of luck here. I am on my third Type Cover (2). First one had a down arrow that only works sometimes, my second one the 'A' key didn't work, and now I'm on my third, and hoping for the best, because you basically can no longer buy the Type Cover 2 anywhere locally anymore, as they're all sold out. To add insult to injury, the one I just bought that was promised to me by the store it was new in-box, turns out was an open-box item... fingers crossed.

kristalsoldier

I had mentioned earlier that I was indeed experiencing intermittent issues with the Type Cover 2 on the Surface 2. But there seems to have been a minor FW update within the last 36 hours. I have no idea what the FW update brought, but the issues with the Type Cover 2 have not arisen since then.

drolem

Probably an issue relating to bluetooth. Don't forget the covers connect to the surface using bluetooth tech.

No, they do *not* use BT. (unless you get the wireless adapter, but that's a whole different ballgame) They use the 6 pins for communication and power.

Ascor

I had mentioned earlier that I was indeed experiencing intermittent issues with the Type Cover 2 on the Surface 2. But there seems to have been a minor FW update within the last 36 hours. I have no idea what the FW update brought, but the issues with the Type Cover 2 have not arisen since then.

How did you install this FW update? Do you have a link for it or was it through Windows Update?