What's new

Type Cover 2 / mysterious button above function keys, below the screens window button

Knubblo

Hi all,

I am using the Type Cover 2 (backlit) with my SP2, it is great. However, today I realised it is a vertical line above and right in the middle of the F6 and F7 keys. First I thought it was dust but it is the same engraving as it is around the mousepad. Nothing happens when I press it but I'll guess it is not there by mistake?
It looks like a off/on button despite missing the circle. It is just a straight line like the capital letter I.

Any tips?

/Knubblo

Krighton

What are you talking about? The buttons are the buttons. There isn't anything beyond the keys that is a button or a key.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I think that is a "tell" for touch typists, and the blind. You will find a similar ridge at the base of the "F" and "J" keys, and on the "5" key of most keyboards that have a numeric keypad.

OP
K

Knubblo

Talked to a MS rep and he said it was just a design, no function.

Thanks for your replies.

/Knubblo

T-Bob

Talked to a MS rep and he said it was just a design, no function.

Thanks for your replies.

/Knubblo

Oh come now, we have all read the tech press long enough to know that MS absolutely cannot do anything DESIGN related. :eek:mg:

Kev007

I'm willing to bet it's there to prevent accidental actuation of the capacitive Windows key.

Last edited: