What's new

Type Cover 2 pops off when folded back

MrPhilicorda

I have a Surface Pro 2 with the Type Cover 2. When I want to use it as a tablet and fold the Type Cover back 180 degrees, it always pops off. It seems the "hinge" part of the cover is too stiff and the magnetic latch system isn't strong enough keep it properly secured while folded back.

Do your Type Covers pop off when folded back?

I'm thinking the "hinge" on the type cover might soften eventually eliminating the problem, but as it is now it's a bit annoying.

benjitek

Not sure how old yours is, but the get less stiff with age. When you first start using them, they're very stiff -- but get limper with time. If that's not the case, you should exchange it as that isn't the norm.

daniielrp

Not sure how old yours is, but the get less stiff with age. When you first start using them, they're very stiff -- but get limper with time. If that's not the case, you should exchange it as that isn't the norm.

I've had mine since launch (so Oct ish) and still find it very stiff to fold back, but I hardly ever even attempt to fold it back, so that could be why :p

oion

Another option is to remove the keyboard entirely, turn it around, and reattach so the keys are against the back of the Surface; many people do this because they don't want to feel the keys while holding the tablet (especially a Type, less so with a Touch cover).

OP
M

MrPhilicorda

Thanks for your replies. Mine is pretty new actually, had it for less than two weeks I think. So maybe I just keep folding it back and eventually it'll soften!

I don't mind feeling the keys on the back, I had a Yoga 13 so I'm used to that. :)

jrhillma

Both my SP2 and Type 2 cover are less than a week old. I've only had the Type cover pop off once when folding it back. Oion's suggestion to fully remove it and flip it around hadn't occurred to me (yet). I dislike the feeling of the keys on the back of the Surface when I have the cover folded over, so I'll be giving that a try.

CrippsCorner

...was wondering when someone would take that and run with it... ;-)

That sounds painful!

Jeff, the 5th leg was indeed, imposing
big%20smile.png
Jeremy looked slightly oversized on that thing... and 509 less horse power than he's used to!

Zkyevolved

I've had mine since December and it pops off sometimes. It's usually due to it already being folded back and pulling upward on the keyboard and detaching it. But it normally doesn't happen. But it is rather stiff in the beginning. Just give it some time.