What's new

Type Cover Alternatives

mrjoe94

So I decided that a keyboard would be awesome, unfortunately I do not want to pay $140 with tax for a Really Cool Face Cover.

I was thinking of something like this Matias Folding Keyboard for PC & Mac
or my last option is this: Anker Mini Bluetooth Handheld Keyboard with Multi-Touchpad / Laser Pointer for Google Nexus 7 / Google Android TV / iPhone 4 4S 3GS 3G / Samsung Galaxy S S2 S3 / HTPC / PC / Iphone / Android 3.0 Tablet / Mac OS: Amazon.ca: Electronics

It needs to be really portable. I'm sorry if I sound crude in response to the Type Cover, it is just that because this runs Windows i'd like a choice in input devices. =).

CrippsCorner

LOL.png
I guess it wasn't gonna take too long. I like the idea of bluetooth actually, means you can take it away from being attached if you want to...

tonyz3

You always find the coolest stuff :)

I assume this would work with the Pro as well? I only ask because it specifies the RT but Bluetooth is Bluetooth. Only problem is it comes from freakin China. I hate waiting a month to get stuff and giving my financial info to someone in China.
I am not sure if the dimensions of the pro are the same as this case snaps to the RT. But yeah the China thing is a pain especially it is hit or miss with quality...

mitchellvii

I am not sure if the dimensions of the pro are the same as this case snaps to the RT. But yeah the China thing is a pain especially it is hit or miss with quality...

And there is always a chance they pee-peed on it if they play joke.

But seriously anytime you buy tech on eBay from China you are rollin the dice.

ArnoldC

After a bad experience with a 3rd party charger for my RT, I'm not in the mood to buy another from an unproven source.

I am considering the Logitech Bluetooth Tablet keyboard for Windows instead.

Spaniard

IMHO type cover is the perfect cover, the thinnest and lightest real keyboard and cover. I don't want 3 keyboards so my alternative is a bluetooth full keyboard.

Laptop mode -> type cover
Desktop mode -> bluetooth full keyboard

I really like the type cover.
  1. It types very well, smooth keystrokes, not too compacted, buttons feel good to press and not too loud;
  2. It's very thin;
  3. Connects to the SP and acts as a cover (great idea!);
  4. Has all the function keys;
  5. Has a nice felt bottom
  6. I'm sure there are a few more reasons I like the type cover.

Only one thing I do not like about the type cover:
  • The trackpad feels like a 1st generation laptop trackpad from the early 90's. It's just awful and I find I rarely use it (good thing for the pen and touchscreen).

My strong hopes for a next-gen type cover:
  • Updated trackpad (duh), maybe on par with a Macbook trackpad (they really have a top notch trackpad);
  • Backlit keyboard (not too bright though). This might bump the retail price a little (just a little, MS. Don't get carried away), and it may add a bit more thickness, but I'd be willing to compromise.
  • Maybe a little more rigid. When I use the SP on my lap with my legs crossed (not that I cross my legs, but for those that do... just sayin) and rest my hands on the type cover, the weight of my hands can sometimes slightly bend the keyboard and cause inadvertent mouse clicks.
  • Dedicated F1-F12 keys (as opposed to using the Fn key to access those keys. Yes, I know about Fn+Caps Lock)
  • A dedicated right-click keyboard button (I actually use that a lot on a desktop keyboard). Not sure where this new key would go, maybe replace the Backspace key? I don't need it as I don't make any mistsakes.

To wrap up, they type cover is pretty darn awesome as it is!

CrippsCorner

[*] Dedicated F1-F12 keys (as opposed to using the Fn key to access those keys. Yes, I know about Fn+Caps Lock)

This was sorted in an update... my F keys work purely as F keys now, and I didn't have to do anything to activate it. Apologies if 'Fn+Caps Lock' makes this happen, I'm not sure about that one? Never had to do it myself.

darkwolf

I have to agree, the type cover is amazing, apart from the trackpad of course. (For that purpose I have my logitech anywhere mx)
I am using the surface pro as a development machine for about 2 months now for daily work and even some light gaming.
Originally I bought myself the microsoft wedge keyboard because I thought it might be a good thing to have a dedicated keyboard, I didn't really think the type cover would be up to the job. (Also because I've always used a separate keyboard for my mac as well)
However, I was wrong. I actually don't use the wedge keyboard at all. Instead, I use the type cover. I'm quite surprised really at how good this little thing really is.

Edit:
Another plus for the type cover is that you can Fn+Caps Lock to get the F keys back in working order. The wedge keyboard cannot do this, which makes developing rather painful.

Last edited: