What's new

Type cover deterioration

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know that other users, like myselkf, have experienced the type cover tearing at the corner where your palm sits..

But today i found a slightly more worrisome issue. When detaching my cover, i pull from a side so that it is easier to break the magnetic connection. Doing it today though, i noticed that the cover is beginning to peel away from the plastic which i imagine before too long will result in a total failure.

IMAG1916.jpg

Lesson learned. It might be cloth, but for the price, i figured it would be of a solid build quality, well it isn't. No more taking the typecover off like that anymore! Have to get into a habit of pulling it off from the middle. I seem to have nothing but bad luck concerning the Sp3 and failing glue.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
MS Complete? = No worries.

Certainly, but you could abuse that argument and say ms could release a product that breaks every 5 days but because you can get it replaced its not an issue.

im covered by complete (from what the rep told me last time, complete only covers the surface, i only have warranty support on the keyboard til december this year. In fact just had a look at the complete details, and it only states it covers the device, not the accessories), but it is irrelevant unless i can get an advanced replacement (no MS stores in the UK). Having a working keyboard is essential for me. One day without my keyboard and i'm screwed for my university work.

Just letting people know that this is something to be aware of. It could be coincidence, but i noticed it for the first time today, and all of a sudden i can hardly get the surface to register the keyboard. When it does work, i just have to poke the device and windows 10 asks me if i want to enter tablet mode (which it normally only does when it detects the keyboard being removed or being folded behind the device.

I don't know if this kind of thing occurred with previous surface keyboards, but i'm feeling rather disappointed. This thing cost the same as my dinovo edge, that thing, despite being runover by a car, has worked flawlessly for around 8 years. My type cover hasn't lasted 6 months. First the kickstand, now the keyboard, all seemingly because MS use some cheap ass glue.

Nuspieds

Since the SP1, the way I've been detaching the Type Cover keyboard is basically like tearing apart a fabric: Left hand holding the SP and the right hand holding the Type Cover. Even while on a desk, that would mean holding down the Type Cover with my right hand while I pulled away the SP with my left hand.

With such a usage, I haven't seen any deterioration on my Type Covers.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since the SP1, the way I've been detaching the Type Cover keyboard is basically like tearing apart a fabric: Left hand holding the SP and the right hand holding the Type Cover. Even while on a desk, that would mean holding down the Type Cover with my right hand while I pulled away the SP with my left hand.

With such a usage, I haven't seen any deterioration on my Type Covers.

That doesnt give too much info. Many ways of tearing fabric. Best analogy would be a velcro strip. Do you tear from the middle, or from one end? Physics dictates its easier to do it from one end, half the effort or whatnot, so thats how i remove the thpe cover, it is this method that has caused the issue. If i were just to grab beneath the trsclpad and pull evenly, i dont think this issue would be occuring, but unfortunately this is an illogical way to remove it.

Just thought id give a heads up. It could have started weeks ago but only noticed it today. Not something i typically paid attention to

olimjj

Empirically speaking, the preferred procedure is the one indicated by @Nuspieds, which is the one I also employ. Remove the tablet from the keyboard, not the other way around, to minimize tearing and stretching stress.

Liam2349

I tear mine off a lot, and it still looks fine. Get it replaced under warranty.

My Type Cover 2 is also still in use and not having any issues either.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Empirically speaking, the preferred procedure is the one indicated by @Nuspieds, which is the one I also employ. Remove the tablet from the keyboard, not the other way around, to minimize tearing and stretching stress.

I'm no physicist but wouldn't the forces on the magnetic strip be the same no matter?

olimjj

I'm no physicist but wouldn't the forces on the magnetic strip be the same no matter?
Of course this is an empirical anecdote:
The keyword is "minimize".
Also I referenced @Nuspieds post which states:
"holding down the Type Cover with my right hand while I pulled away the SP with my left hand."
Using the hand/palm to support the edge junctions will help do this.

Nuspieds

Of course this is an empirical anecdote:
The keyword is "minimize".
Also I referenced @Nuspieds post which states:
"holding down the Type Cover with my right hand while I pulled away the SP with my left hand."
Using the hand/palm to support the edge junctions will help do this.
That's exactly how I do it.

I suspect @olimjj must have spied on me. :D