What's new

Type Cover drains all Power from Surface 2 overnight

dcramer

Hi everyone,

I did several searches before posting but found no conclusive solutions for my problem. After purchasing a Type cover for my very new (3/30/14) Surface 2, the power consistently drains completely overnight, but does not drain overnight when the cover is detached. No experimental tinkering has worked yet. Screen does shut off when cover closes.

Is this a known problem?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, dcramer,

Not a known problem.
Which Type Cover do you have? Does.it have backlighting? Wondering if the backlighting constantly on..

OP
D

dcramer

The Type Cover 2 does have backlighting.

Does your Caps Lock key have an indicator in the upper right?

It seems it does have backlighting and my wife thinks its possible it was on. I'll test it again making sure the backlighting is off. thanks in advance for that!

Nuspieds

It seems it does have backlighting and my wife thinks its possible it was on. I'll test it again making sure the backlighting is off. thanks in advance for that!
No problem, but keep in mind that there is no on/off switch, per se. Under normal operation, it turns on and off automatically; the keyboard has a sensor and as you move your hand (or other object) over the keyboard, the backlight turns on. If it is permanently on, then there is something wrong or some sort of motion that keeps it on.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Run Windows Update with the Keyboard attached and you should have a Hardware Update (Type Cover 2 Firmware but will not be listed as such). That should hopefully fix the issue you're experiencing.