What's new

Type Cover Driver Missing and not working

LeXXander

Hi Guys,

I own a surface pro 3 running on OS Windows 10.
It's on version: 1703 (Os Build 15063.540).

Recently my Type Cover Keyboard stopped working. I then looked at the "Device Manager" to check the driver and saw that the Type Cover Driver is missing. This is probably the reason why SP3 does not recognize the keyboard. I tried looking for a downloadable driver for this but i could not find one. I also tried following every alternative solutions that I can see from the internet and nothing seems to have worked for me. I even came across a forum in microsoft, wherein someone reported a similar issue but we are all waiting for an answer from Microsoft. Then I saw this Forum, maybe one of you guys might have encountered the same problem and is able to find a working solution that I can try.

Hope to hear from you guys here.

Thanks!

wvd

Same problem here, and tried the cover with a different device, definitely software.
No drivers and not even a type cover port to disable in the UEFI bios! lexxander did you find a solution yet?

wvd

Just did. It might check drivers but it doesn't check for the type cover, its presence or its port. Didn't help anyway.
I let the matter rest recently, didn't use my Surface for a couple of days. Booted and there it was! The message saying drivers found, installing type cover or something like that. After that the type cover worked like a charm. For about half an hour that is: I had to leave and when I woke up my Surface elsewhere it was gone again and the drivers nowhere to be found.. At least I know for sure that it is a software issue!

Thanks for the advice anyway!

edhs

Just did. It might check drivers but it doesn't check for the type cover, its presence or its port. Didn't help anyway.
I let the matter rest recently, didn't use my Surface for a couple of days. Booted and there it was! The message saying drivers found, installing type cover or something like that. After that the type cover worked like a charm. For about half an hour that is: I had to leave and when I woke up my Surface elsewhere it was gone again and the drivers nowhere to be found.. At least I know for sure that it is a software issue!

Thanks for the advice anyway!

May I know please how did you boot it

How do I do this
Thanks a lot

Cos I am suffering from the same issue

reptilian

Copy/pasted from my post today. You are not alone, many are having type/touch cover issues:

Add Surface Pro 2 Type/Touch Covers to the list:

Same issue here. Worked fine for 2 years, then noticed on my Surface Pro 2 around April 2018 off and on, then by May 2018 my Touch Cover 2 was completely bricked. After trying all kinds of remedies, I bought a "new" Type Cover 2, same issue. Cleaned the connector pins on Surface, did all the steps and realized that it's a Firmware issue. Somewhere along the way, these updates made either the Surface Pro (2/3/4) firmware and/or the Type/Touch Cover firmware incompatible. It's almost as if something in the Surface BIOS is telling the pins not to send power to the Covers (no LEDs, no Caps lock, nothing). My type and touch covers are not recognized in the UEFI. I'm finding HUNDREDS maybe thousands of others having this issue, especially recently.

I've wasted around 1 week of my life trying to fix this, even looking at new computers to buy. And I'm an experienced MS tech! Why can't MS release a new firmware update or downgrade to fix all of the Surfaces and covers?

I called MS support today, and their solution was to bring it to an MS store (3 hours drive), where they MIGHT give me a discount on a newer system. My system was perfectly fine before these updates this year, I shouldn't be forced to buy a new computer because of MS's firmware mistake. 20+ years MS user and tech supporter, this is ridiculous. If this is their quiet way of pushing users to buy new hardware, that would be a new low for any company. MS needs to realize that no keyboard/mouse on any Surface basically BRICKS it, and defeats the purpose of the once amazing device. I spent about 10 hours today researching all of the ways to try to fix this. This is my post before I try resetting/refreshing/clean install tomorrow - which I'm afraid may not fix it due to all the other stories I've read. I'm glad I don't have to explain this to a client if it were an enterprise computer! Good luck to all with this issue. MS, you can do so much better, easily. It's got to be something with the USB internals and of course the firmware all need to play nice together (and have a way to restore older firmware for issues like this).