What's new

Type Cover issues after 1.5 years

OP
G

girarcat

Thanks for your help!

Just contacted Microsoft and both my Surface and Type Cover are still under warranty (2 year warranty), so I'll ship it back to have it fixed or to get a replacement.

Now what worries me is why this hardware issue happened. As you said, it really looks like the wiring inside the keyboard is damaged. I guess this happened due to folding the cover to the back of the tablet. I’ve always thought that was quite an awkward movement, that's clearly a weak spot in the design. Many times the keyboard even detaches from the tablet when folding it back. Even though Microsoft advertised the Surface making us believe it was capable to be used with the cover folded back, I bet when they designed it they didn't have in mind such working position.

The thing is, will it happen again with my new Type Cover in 1.5 years? Do all the Type Covers end up being damaged by folding them back, or it was just that my unit was faulty from the beginning?

Thanks!

GoodBytes

Thanks for your help!

Just contacted Microsoft and both my Surface and Type Cover are still under warranty (2 year warranty), so I'll ship it back to have it fixed or to get a replacement.
I was told Microsoft complete doesn't cover the Type Cover 2... that this is apart. What the heck?!

Thanks for your help!
Now what worries me is why this hardware issue happened. As you said, it really looks like the wiring inside the keyboard is damaged. I guess this happened due to folding the cover to the back of the tablet. I’ve always thought that was quite an awkward movement, that's clearly a weak spot in the design. Many times the keyboard even detaches from the tablet when folding it back. Even though Microsoft advertised the Surface making us believe it was capable to be used with the cover folded back, I bet when they designed it they didn't have in mind such working position.
Assuming you don't have your fingers in the way as you fold it on the back (as this will detach it), I do know that Microsoft improved the magnet to make it hold better by putting stronger magnets.

The thing is, will it happen again with my new Type Cover in 1.5 years? Do all the Type Covers end up being damaged by folding them back, or it was just that my unit was faulty from the beginning?
No idea. Wondering the same thing. I guess it is best to see Surface Pro 1 users have problems...

Zkyevolved

Hi, I see you're in Spain (due to your Catalan language input). If you bought it here in Europe, you get 2 years warranty. I'd RMA that. Microsoft chat is usually quite helpful, even though I've seen some dreadful stories here - but remember, most people that post are complaining - the people that are happy rarely do so.

Best of luck.

PS: I have a US type cover, and I'm starting to have my own issues (different than yours) - and I don't want to RMA mine because they'll send me a Spanish one as I am currently residing in Spain. Arg...

OP
G

girarcat

GoodBytes, I don't have the Microsoft Complete warranty. I'm using the standard warranty. As Zkyevolved said, the thing is that in Spain by law all devices have a 2 year warranty.
Cheers

redbrick

....this is crazy...I've maybe used my type cover twice...and I do type a lot using the thumb keyboard and autocomplete...great combo with tons of spelling errors. Reading this...I'll be very careful with my keyboard. Flex-circuit has never convinced me of durability as applied in the MS surface keyboards.

Wow, talk of coincidences. I am also in Catalonia and just yesterday I sent my second Type Cover for a warranty swap. I was having very similar issues to what you describe; I had the same problem with my first Type Cover (which I also had to replace). Like Girarcat's, it tends to turn on or off depending on the writing angle.

Searching around the web I found http://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/392tj3/tired_of_type_cover_wear_and_connectivity_issues/ which also describes similar angle related problems. It seems more common that what I thought.

Being in the EU too at least we have 2 years warranty on it. I still have more than 6 months left, plenty of time for another warranty swap :)

GoodBytes

I contacted my credit card manufacture which my credit card offers an extended warranty on all my purchases, to file a claim. They are processing it. First time doing this.

I am really surprised and I think it sucks big time that Microsoft Complete doesn't cover the keyboard. It covers the pen and power adapter (which is a plus compared to laptop manufacture who doesn't normally, at least not in North America).
I guess that is part of the reason why Microsoft is not including the keyboard with the product.

It does seam that the problem has been solved with the SP3.
I think the reason is that they changed the way it works.

If we look at a picture of both:
Microsoft-Surface-Pro-3-Type-Cover-1-und-2.jpg

(Sorry, it's not the best of images, but it is all I could find, but you can look with your own Type Cover 2)

Notice the marking above, and in between the F6 and F7 key (you can see it on your SP2 keyboard).
This is where, you can have the circuitry to detect the keyboard folding position. So in the SP3, either they put it in the palm rest or under the solid block between the keyboard and connector, which also allows putting the keyboard at an angle.

OP
G

girarcat

Okay guys, I got some news.

Friday 5:30 pm I handed my Type Cover to UPS. Friday evening it was shipped to the nearest airport (Barcelona). Saturday afternoon it arrived at Germany (where Microsoft technical service is). Monday morning the package was delivered to Microsoft. Tuesday morning I received an email from MS stating they had checked my old Type Cover and a new one was on the way. Wednesday morning, I receive the new keyboard at home.

Chapeau for UPS and Microsoft. I would have never imagined such a fast shipment and a fast response from MS were possible.

The Type Cover I've received wasn't in the original box, but it looks (and smells) like brand-new. All the issues have been solved. No disconnections when slightly lifting the Surface from the desk. The keyboard will be properly disabled when overpassing an angle of 180º and the onscreen keyboard will pop in and out correctly according to the Type Cover being attached or detached.

From now on, I will try not to fold the cover back very often. I will also contact MS and ask them if they admit there's a design problem and consequently advise me not to fold it back.

If I remember, in a few months I will report in this post how the Type Cover is aging.

For the moment, I’m really satisfied with MS technical service. I thought it would be a pain in the ass, but everything has turned out to work with high efficiency.

GoodBytes

I agree. Despite not covering me (due that it only has 1 year warranty). Microsoft Surface support is impressively good.
I wish they made it clear that Microsoft Complete doesn't cover the keyboard.

For me it will take time, because:
-> Credit card need to process my case
-> Need to wait for the keyboard to be back in stock.