What's new

Type cover modifcation to get magnetic lock when folded?

Saftis

Hi

I just got my Type Cover 2 today for my Surface 2 RT.
Great keyboard and mouse pad with gestures, as well as the automatic deactivation when flipped and proximity sensor (?), but I'm a little bit annoyed by the cover not locking to the tablet when folding it, so is there anyone out there that have done a successful modification to make lock?

I'm thinking of just taping or gluing some magnets to the cover, any thoughts about that idea?

oion

Hi

I just got my Type Cover 2 today for my Surface 2 RT.
Great keyboard and mouse pad with gestures, as well as the automatic deactivation when flipped and proximity sensor (?), but I'm a little bit annoyed by the cover not locking to the tablet when folding it, so is there anyone out there that have done a successful modification to make lock?

I'm thinking of just taping or gluing some magnets to the cover, any thoughts about that idea?

Magnets should work on the chassis, but I don't know about the glass (and you wouldn't want bare magnets to smack/rub against the bare glass). I suppose if you attached magnets to the sides of the keyboard, you might be able to get them to stick to the sides of the chassis, which I believe should be magnetic; no magnets around at the moment to check.

beman39

or what you can do is glue and elastic band on the back of the keyboard so when you close it, you snap the elastic over and sorta lock it in place..like some of the ipad keyboard folio cases do like in the pic below...why MS didn't include that is beyond me?

images

Dane

I'm more annoyed at the fact that the Surface doesn't wake up when the cover it opened than the fact that the cover doesn't stick closed with magnets...but hey...you can't win 'em all.

oion

or what you can do is glue and elastic band on the back of the keyboard so when you close it, you snap the elastic over and sorta lock it in place..like some of the ipad keyboard folio cases do like in the pic below...why MS didn't include that is beyond me?

Because the extra material under the keyboard would prevent the keyboard from laying flush against a tabletop.

I'm more annoyed at the fact that the Surface doesn't wake up when the cover it opened than the fact that the cover doesn't stick closed with magnets...but hey...you can't win 'em all.

Uh, that's not supposed to happen. Sleep/wake is the default mode; did you play around with power settings? (Off-topic, though, probably want to make your own thread about it.)

beman39

Because the extra material under the keyboard would prevent the keyboard from laying flush against a tabletop

umm no cuzz I had it on the other folio case for my other device and it never interfered, they make them thin enough not to interfere like that

oion

umm no cuzz I had it on the other folio case for my other device and it never interfered, they make them thin enough not to interfere like that

Your other folio case has a keyboard?

Besides which... it looks cheesy. I expect aesthetics had as much to do with it as anything else.

The lack of magnets built into the keyboard is of greater interest, though. Don't know why they didn't do that, though in actual practice, it doesn't bother me because the cover isn't going to flap around when I grab it.

beman39

yes it was a keyboard folio case in one... was very nice too and hardly noticeable, the way they made it, it was like it was made into the case...the band I mean

Dane

well my Surface wakes when I open the keyboard...

Because the extra material under the keyboard would prevent the keyboard from laying flush against a tabletop.

Uh, that's not supposed to happen. Sleep/wake is the default mode; did you play around with power settings? (Off-topic, though, probably want to make your own thread about it.)

Seriously??? I didn't know that! I'll have to check my settings when I get home!